Tires Why are my NEW Tractor Tires turining into swiss cheese

/ Why are my NEW Tractor Tires turining into swiss cheese #1  

rokhead

Just wondering if anyone has possible suggestions as to why my New Case IH JX95 would be getting the tires shreded while mowing pastures/fields. The tractor came equipped with goodyear radial r1 tires. I'm not brush hogging or mowing in the woods and the tires seem to get punctured by twigs and sticks as small as blunt pencils and as big as base ball bats. I have had approximately 17 flat tires within the 200hrs of mowing I've put on the tractor. All the tires have several plugs and one has to run a tube to hold air. This is far from my first tractor, but is my first with radial r1's....are they just super weak? I had Firestone R4s on a 45 hp Branson that I put 500 hrs on in the exact same fields last year and I only got one flat from running over an 8point shed from a whitetail. The bad thing is when this tractor gets punctures the tires end up walking off the beads and it takes alot to change 18.4 r34 tires. The ruber from the tires is gummy soft and if I had no regard for my finger I could probably get a running start and pop a tire with it.

I'm thinking the tires are defective...can a tire manufacturer expect a tire to get punctured 17 times while driving over twigs and sticks in a field?

/ Why are my NEW Tractor Tires turining into swiss cheese #2  
That sounds pretty bad. Are you running a reasonable tire pressure? If you are, I'd start talking to the dealer about the tires being defective.

/ Why are my NEW Tractor Tires turining into swiss cheese #3  
Sounds like either you have bad tires or bought the street only version.

/ Why are my NEW Tractor Tires turining into swiss cheese #4  
rokhead:

Welcome to TBN :D! I have never had problems brushhogging my fields and/or going through my woods with my R-1's with sticks , twigs, or bramble canes. I have gotten flats due to slashed tires (cause really undetermined- rock) or torn off valve stem (branch). How old are your tires, what air pressures do you run, and what is their ply rating? My R-1's are 8 ply rears and 6 ply fronts. My rears are weighted with CaCl, but that would not matter for this concern. Jay

/ Why are my NEW Tractor Tires turining into swiss cheese #5  
That's strange...thorn apples,shale love to eat rubber :( what ply tires are you useing?

/ Why are my NEW Tractor Tires turining into swiss cheese #6  
What tire pressure are you running? I've had better luck with 10 to 12 PSI on MOST rear tires, with 15 PSI as the HIGHEST I've ran. I run 30 to 35 psi on fronts. Too much or too little will cause problems.

I've got GoodYear DynaTorque II's on one tractor. They've been "patch collectors" too. I'm starting to lose my good opinion of GoodYear tires.

I own a mowing business. We have 4 tractors running more or less full time. With Titans, Armstrongs, and Firestones on 3 tractors, I've had 3 times the number of flats on the GoodYears as the other 3 COMBINED. That's a telling fact in my estimation.

JUst grasping at idea's... By chance, you haven't sharpened your bush hog blades to a keen edge? VERY sharp bush hog blades will cut brush rather than shatter the ends, leaving you with lots of "spears" instead of blunt, non tire threatening staubs.

/ Why are my NEW Tractor Tires turining into swiss cheese #7  
rokhead said:
Just wondering if anyone has possible suggestions as to why my New Case IH JX95 would be getting the tires shreded while mowing pastures/fields. The tractor came equipped with goodyear radial r1 tires. I'm not brush hogging or mowing in the woods and the tires seem to get punctured by twigs and sticks as small as blunt pencils and as big as base ball bats. I have had approximately 17 flat tires within the 200hrs of mowing I've put on the tractor. All the tires have several plugs and one has to run a tube to hold air. This is far from my first tractor, but is my first with radial r1's....are they just super weak? I had Firestone R4s on a 45 hp Branson that I put 500 hrs on in the exact same fields last year and I only got one flat from running over an 8point shed from a whitetail. The bad thing is when this tractor gets punctures the tires end up walking off the beads and it takes alot to change 18.4 r34 tires. The ruber from the tires is gummy soft and if I had no regard for my finger I could probably get a running start and pop a tire with it.

I'm thinking the tires are defective...can a tire manufacturer expect a tire to get punctured 17 times while driving over twigs and sticks in a field?

Last year on several ag sites this subject was brought up. Ag tires need to cure before use. With tractor sales being high it seems the tire co.'s couldn't keep up with demand. So lots of uncured tires were showing up all over. From what I gathered Ag tractor tires needs to sit in storage for 12 months to cure fully. Uncured tires will get cut and punctured by crop stalks. When that happens there's lots of angry farmers out there. Plus some and maybe a lot of tires are being imported. They may not be as high quality as in the past. Watch for "product of the US" if you see that stamped on a product many times it means that co. moved it's production out of the US.

I read that some farmers were buting tires and storing them for future use to make sure the tires are cured.

/ Why are my NEW Tractor Tires turining into swiss cheese #8  
Radial tires are not the best choice for brush chopping as it is a softer compound then bias tires. However, you still should not have this many problems and I would be talking to the tire rep about replacements.

/ Why are my NEW Tractor Tires turining into swiss cheese #9  
Mornin Rokhead,
I think all the previous posters have brought up valid points. The bottom line for me would be this is extremely uncharacteristic to have this happen with the type work you are performing !!! I would definitely get the dealer out there to look at this and hopefully get credited towards another set of tires ! I wouldnt be happy with anything less !

/ Why are my NEW Tractor Tires turining into swiss cheese #10  
Scott has a good point, but I think your beef is with the tires, not the tractor. The dealer may run interference with the Goodyear guys for you, but he probably can't authorize an adjustment of any kind. Tires usually have their own warranty, separate from the vehicle on which they are mounted.