Great Articles!

/ Great Articles! #1  

Wingnut

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3710 GST
hey folks, don't know if any (or many) of you get the Successful Farming magazine ... but there sure are some great articles this month on tractors.
An excellent review of tractor weight and how many of us (including me, I realized after reading the article) work too hard to increase the weight of our tractors. If I'd read this first, I'd never have spent the extra $600 to fill the tires when I bought mine.
An interesting read on tires and when to replace them ... on tractor electronics ... on troubleshooting ... and a super article on hearing protection and preventing "farmer ear".
Did you know that a pigs squeal is 130 dB while loud rock music is 115 dB? I didn't.
If you don't get the mag ... I think most or all the articles should be available on their website at http://www.agriculture.com

Wingnut

/ Great Articles! #2  
<font color=blue>I'd never have spent the extra $600 to fill the tires.<font color=black>

How did this get so expensive?
Thanks for the 'heads up' on the articles.

/ Great Articles! #3  
Peter...

I just started my subscription again... and got 4 issues in the past 3 weeks... I guess they felt I was a little behind.../w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif?

One of those issues had a good article on retrofitting ROPS on older tractors... I was gonna post on...

Oh... in today's mail... I just got a renewal.../w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ Great Articles!
expensive? Hmmm ... based on comments I'd heard before I bought the tractor, I thought the $600 sounded pretty reasonable ... still feel that way ... just not sure I'd have filled them if I'd read this article before. Why haul that extra weight around all the time when you really don't need it.
Heaviest work I've done is to till a 4 acre field ... and the tiller would have gone just as deep if my tires weren't filled.
Of course ... I would be folding my rops to drive into the garage ... since I hit the top sill if I don''t have the 800# tiller on the 3ph.

/ Great Articles! #5  
I went to the website but couldn't find the article. Is there any chance you could elaborate on what struck you? Or post some main points from the article? My tires aren't filled, but I've been thinking about wheel weights. My loader works so much better with the box blade on that I thought maybe wheel weights would help get that advantage even with lighter implements on the hitch.

Thanks,

Steve

/ Great Articles! #6  
What did you have them filled with?

/ Great Articles! #7  
Yep that is a great magazine Wingnut. I just started getting it myself. It's actually published a little ways from here in Des Moines, IA.