Canopy trailering tractor with canopy

/ trailering tractor with canopy #1  

jyoutz

Tractor
Kubota MX6000
I have a rigid fiberglass canopy on the ROPS of my JD4100. I haven't trailered the tractor since installing the canopy. How do you folks with canopys trailer your tractor? Do you drive into the trailer facing forward or to the rear. I'm wondering about any potential wind catching under the canopy and ripping it up. But the canopy is very well molded fiberglass so maybe this would be no concern to just trailer with the tractor facing forward. What has been the experiance of you folks with these types of canopies?

/ trailering tractor with canopy #2  
Jim, of course my canopy is steel on the B2710, but when I had the B7100, my brother made me a canopy that was nothing more than a frame of 1" square tubular steel with awning canvas stretched over it. I've always put my tractors on the trailer facing forward and never had a problem. And I've seen a number of tractors being trailered with plastic or fiberglass canopies, and they're usually on the trailer facing forward. I'd be very surprised if you ever had a problem at all with yours.

/ trailering tractor with canopy #3  
I have a canopy like Bird's, and have not had a problem with it yet. I've run down the road at 60 mph, although the fabric acts like a sail. I always load the tractors facing forward, I don't want to take a chance of the wind ripping the hood off. The 1050 has hood locks, the 955 does not.

Paul

/ trailering tractor with canopy #4  
I've trailered many times with a fibreglass canopy with the tractor facing both forwards and backwards and the canopy is still there.

/ trailering tractor with canopy
Thanks everyone for your response. Guess I won't worry about this.

/ trailering tractor with canopy #6  
jyoutz,
I don't have a canopy, so can't offer any first hand advice, but I do remember reading about this on some canopy manufacturer's web site. They suggested that when trailering, you fasten a tie strap from the leading edge of the canopy to a fixed point (steering wheel??, brake pedal??) to offer reinforcement to the canopy structure. I don't know if this is necessary, but it couldn't hurt.

Hoss

/ trailering tractor with canopy #7  
I had to tow my tractor about 300 mi. this weekend (metal canopy). Had a very stiff headwind (guestimate @ ~20+) & 70 mph drive speed. Went about 30 miles and decided to secure the front edge of the canopy as CVHoss suggested. I used some rope looped around the top & tied under the tractor. The top had been buffeting about +/- 1.5 inches, but with the rope, there was 0 movement. I don't think it would have blown off without it, but I didn't see the reason to add undue stress when it only took about 3 minutes to secure. For shorter/lower speed trips, I probably won't bother.

/ trailering tractor with canopy #8  
Just a thought, boaters world sells conopy straps that have hooked end and are adjustable. To mount them get the small stainless tiedown points that mount with two screws. Mount one in the center at the back of your canopy and two on your fel supports.

/ trailering tractor with canopy #9  
I have a fiberglass canopy(telatrax) on my 3710,Ive always trailered facing rearwards to be safe(Per Steve C.),I would like to know if anybody has had luck with fiberglass facing fowards at 65-70mph,I would prefer to be to face fowards with a brushhog or hoe mounted

/ trailering tractor with canopy #10  
I don't know of anyone personally, but the dealer I bought the tractor had said he's seen some fiberglass ones come off @ speed. He told me that the FG ones that came with their tractors had a warning about not exceeding 30 mph with them on. Of course, this is all heresay and for just the ones that dealer carried, but its a datapoint I suppose. If there was a strap to hold it down, I bet those that he sold could take higher than 30 mph.