tractor storage

/ tractor storage #1  

bx24d

Silver Member
I'm looking at upgrading from by Kubota BX24 sub compact tractor to a compact tractor in the near future. Depending on which compact I choose, I might not be able to fit it in the space I have in my barn.

I'm wondering what effect there is from outside storage in Connecticut. Is there a difference if it has a factory or aftermarket cab vs. none? Does it shorten the life or increase the frequency of mechanical problems? Are there any outside storage precautions to take if I keepit outside?

/ tractor storage #2  
Tractors have been kept outside for years and years.

Keep on top of maintenance and rust prevention. If you can get a lean to on the side of your shop/barn that helps, even parking so the tractor is out of the driving wind/rain/snow.

In winter, check that snow hasn't been driven into the radiator. Happened to a car once, overheated in the dead of winter due to a snow clogged radiator. Self healing as the heat melts the snow/ice - but a bother when it boilsover!

/ tractor storage #3  
First of all welcome to TBN bx24d. :)

Parking outside,some like to park tires on planks more so when the ground starts to freeze,and you can always use tarp to protect from bird droppings plus weather.

/ tractor storage #4  
I bought a "temp" structure that is made out of vinyl. It is 10' x 20' and works very well for me until I can afford to build the 3 car garage that I have plans for in the future. I live in the midwest so it has weathered some pretty rough weather. The only thing that is bothersome is you need to sweep snow off the top if it starts staying on top of the roof. The cost was only $200 as I remember and took about 4 hours to erect. It might be a great alternative for you. There are numerous threads about tractor storage if you do a search at this site.

Hagman

/ tractor storage #5  
john_bud said:
Tractors have been kept outside for years and years.

Keep on top of maintenance and rust prevention. If you can get a lean to on the side of your shop/barn that helps, even parking so the tractor is out of the driving wind/rain/snow.

None of our tractors our garaged. They all either sit outside or under a lean too. They have all been this way for 30 years or more. But they don't have any complicated electrics like modern CUTS do.

I think having a factory cab will help as this would keep all of the main electrics and stuff dry.

/ tractor storage #6  
bx24d said:
I'm wondering what effect there is from outside storage in Connecticut.

In the snowy, cold part of CT or the warmer, wet part? Either way, I'd say that it is an issue. Yeah, yeah, tractors stay outside and whatever. You'll decrease your resale value (given a choice people will always take a garaged tractor). And, frankly, it can harm the vehicle. There was an old Ford here when I bought this place. It had been outside a grand total of 2 years. And it was hurting. It was inoperable during the winter (water seeping in to the hydraulics) and then ended up costing a lot of money just for the parts to get it all back in decent shape again.

I bought a hoop house type thing made by Shelter Logic. It seems to work pretty well. YMMV.

/ tractor storage #7  
I would build some kind of Jiffy building and throw a tarp over it until I built something permanent. I don't even like to leave it in the rain if I can help it

/ tractor storage #8