Price per acre - bush hogging

/ Price per acre - bush hogging #1  

QwikDraw

Platinum Member
Tractor
Timber King TK711
Looking for a ball park number per acre for tall field growth, no shrubby stuff just weeds and such. I will be using an ASV RC100 and 72" or 78" rotary mower, up here in the New England area.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

/ Price per acre - bush hogging #2  
not enough. :D

how many acres?
what's the land look like?
how far away from your shop?

/ Price per acre - bush hogging #3  
I charge $80/hr with a 7 foot brush hog. I can do about 2 acres / hr. If ther is alot of brush or extemely tall 1 to1.5 acres/hr. Shorter smooth feilds 2.5 acres/hr. I usually charge $80 to $90/hr travel time.
Renovator.

/ Price per acre - bush hogging
Wow, that's lower then I thought. This is ony a 3 acres field that gets mowed every other year. I was thinking $350-$400

A 72" rotary mower, like a Bradco will be in the 4K range.....I'd have to do alot of cuttiing to pay for that @ $80 an hour, I be using $15 an hour in fuel. Maybe It would be better to leave the bush hogging to the tractor guys.....

Thanks for the help.

/ Price per acre - bush hogging #5  
Unfortunately, we didn't have our tractor when the field needed its first mowing. Our neighbor woulda done it for $30-35 an acre, but we couldn't reach him. We ended up calling the prairie restoration company we've been consulting, and they charged us $50 / acre. Another local guy uses a 6' King Kutter, and charges $50 / hr, which, in this topography, works out to about $25-35 / acre. (1.5 - 2.0 acres / hr). He says he just resells the KK every two years and buys a new one (he works at a retailer, so prob'ly gets a discount).

/ Price per acre - bush hogging #6  
Small jobs (under 10 acres) and all bets are off. It's more a matter of what the individual job is worth. 10 acres and above, around this part of the country, and you'll get roughly $20 to $25 an acre, mowing grass, tall weeds and such, depending on conditions. Some jobs pay more, some less. But that covers the "average". Travel time has to be figured in, as well as risk involved. (Are there houses close? Roads? Ect.)

Heavy growth brush and trees isn't priced per acre around here for the most part. It's mostly hourly. Charges from $80 to $500 hr depending on type of equipment. Skid steer w/mulcher gets about $150 hr. on average.

/ Price per acre - bush hogging #7  
How much are others in your area getting? I try to get around $40 an hour here. I can mow about an acre an hour with a 5' mower.

/ Price per acre - bush hogging #8  
We charge around $150. per acre here in S.E. massachusetts.

/ Price per acre - bush hogging #9  
Most charge $40-50 per acre down here in South Texas for relatively clean fields.

/ Price per acre - bush hogging #10  
I charge $65 per MACHINE HOUR when I mow. I'm not trying to make a fortune, but i always come away with some extra spending cash. I like the machine hr method because it allows me to take lots of breaks...the customer likes it because he isn't paying me to swap shear bolts or walk an area looking for stumps and rocks. I'm using either a 5 or 6 foot Howse RC, depending on the terrain. Smaller one works better for cutting thick stuff. The larger one does the weeds and tall grass.