reasonable price to Mow 12 acres???

/ reasonable price to Mow 12 acres??? #1  

scesnick

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
I got a call today from a guy who wanted me to mow his 12 acre field. He said it was just a rolling hill and nothing too steep . I asked him when the last time it was mowed. He said last year. I figured this would be a pretty good way to burn a sunday afternoon so I told him $30 a acre. He didn't seem all too happy with the price so I don't figure I will be hearing from him anytime soon.
I have had this happen 2-3 times now when asked how much i charge. I just can't see putting the wear and tear on my equipment for nothing. What is the going rate for you guys to mow an acre anyway? AM I off base to think anything less than $30 an acre is a waste of time???

/ reasonable price to Mow 12 acres??? #2  
I charge $65 per machine hour, uphill and down. I take alot of breaks and this allows me to clean the radiator, sit in the shade for a bit and walk area's without charging the customer for the time.

/ reasonable price to Mow 12 acres??? #3  
You'll get price opinions from soup to nuts, depending on locale, conditions, ect. Some parts of the country, especially in more "developed" areas bag a high rate. Rural areas will see much lower rates. Then there's always the "per acre" rates for one acre, vs. the rates for large tracts mowed with large equipment. Some consideration must be taken for mowing a tract for the first time. Being unfamiliar with the lay of the land, hidden obstructions, ect, pricing must reflect the slower pace at which you'll need to go until you know what's hidden in the weeds.

$30 is a GOOD rate for acreage of that size in my neck of the woods. Some places will bring MUCH more.

What size mower/hp tractor will you be using? How many acres per hour can you cut? A "rule of thumb" USED to be $1 per HP per hour. (i.e. 40 hp tractor=$40 per hour) That's out the window, even in low cost of living areas with todays economy. More like $1.50 to $1.75 in the cheapest of localities now days.

I mow with 47 hp/6' mower for $75 first hour, and $60 per hour, travel time included. 95 hp/15' mower $175 first hour, and $140 per hour after that. In IDEAL conditions, the smaller tractor will mow 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 acres/hr. Bigger tractor will do (again, in IDEAL conditions) 6-1/2 to 7-1/2 acres per hour. Consider this is a relatively low cost of living area, with custom mowing rates about as low as anywhere in the country. I do well at those prices. No complaints on my end. But also consider for what it's worth, this is a volume business. I keep 4 tractor running fulltime. 5 employees. I can operate on a tighter margin than a single tractor operation.

In the end, you have to make enough to justify wear and tear on equipment, to put enough "profit" in your hip pocket, and to warrant taking the risk involved. Set a price you feel comfortable with. If the "customer" doesn't like it, let him find someone else, OR let him go spend thousands on his own tractor and mower.

/ reasonable price to Mow 12 acres??? #4  
For me, I'd charge more It would only take me about 1/2 a day to mow it, but you figure an hour there, an hour back, the whole day is pretty well gone (although i could get a small one in somewhere). It's highly unlikely you can get a batwing in on 12 acres (maybe, but not usually)
I don't get down to what you quoted til we get into 30+ acres, then I can make it worth their while. (and I max out in size about 60 or so, above that a batwing can really pay off)

Your price is your price. They might find someone cheaper, they might not. But that guy won't be around next year (or a few years down teh road) when they can't keep their equipment up.
Always mention you are insured (do you want an insurance certification?) (I assume you are) and solve their problem. close the deal, so to say.

You can't win every job either, some of these people get their neighbor (no insurance, no business, no trailering costs) to do it for "free". Good for them, but it's not a business, I can't and won't compete with that.

I can make no money sitting at home watching TV. I don't need to work hard and tear up my equipment to work for free.

/ reasonable price to Mow 12 acres??? #5  
At $30. per acre here in south east massachusetts, just stay home, you will not profit at that rate!

/ reasonable price to Mow 12 acres??? #6  
lawn_king said:
At $30. per acre here in south east massachusetts, just stay home, you will not profit at that rate!

OUt of curiousity, do you know what "going rate" is in your area for large acreage mowing? (50 acres and up)

By the time travel cost, ect, is figured in, my price to do ONE ACRE here would be more to the tune of $150 to $175 based on hourly rates. (I code travel time to each job. It's the same rate as mowing.) But I don't mow anything that small. Not my cup of tea. Too much loading and unloading. By doing large tracts, at hourly rate, cost to customer is between $25 and $50 per acre on average. A typical job of mine is 1-1/2 to 3 days (with 2 shifts at times) at one location, usually 2 tractors.

Profit has been far beyond expectations so far.

/ reasonable price to Mow 12 acres??? #7  
We get $100. to $150. per acre here. I rotary cut 40000 sq. ft. today (2 locations) and billed out $400.

/ reasonable price to Mow 12 acres??? #8  
ummm, 40,000 square feet isn't even an acre.

/ reasonable price to Mow 12 acres??? #9  
lawn_king said:
We get $100. to $150. per acre here. I rotary cut 40000 sq. ft. today (2 locations) and billed out $400.

Let's see.... $100 to $150 an acre X 7 acres an hour with the batwing, $700 to $1050 an hour? I'm on the way. I'd drive the tractor all the way for that sort of money. ;)

/ reasonable price to Mow 12 acres??? #10  
LoneCowboy said:
ummm, 40,000 square feet isn't even an acre.
Correct, our standard rates are $100. -$150. per acre. The cutting i did yesterday is routine. 10000 sq. ft. once per month at a flat rate of $150. (1st stop). 30000 sq.ft. 2 or 3 times a year at a flat rate of $250. Two stops done in 6 hours including loading & travel, $400. billed out, its a decent days pay.