Stump Jumper

/ Stump Jumper #1  

lead_dog

Just bought a bush hog, which came with a stump jumper. I realize I should know what this is, but I don't...can someone explain it?

/ Stump Jumper #2  
The simple of it is that .The brush cutter (I think all of them now come with a stump jumper) should glide or jump over a stump should you contact one to keep the cutter from getting stuck over the stump & destroying the cutter

/ Stump Jumper #3  
A spinning wheel with a tapered edge will ride up and over an obstruction a lot easier than a flat bar. The flat bar will destroy itself, whereas the round disc will be around for the duration, if it doesn't rust out.
David from jax

/ Stump Jumper #5  
lead_dog said:
Just bought a bush hog, which came with a stump jumper. I realize I should know what this is, but I don't...can someone explain it?

It's the frisbee-like disc that carries the swinging blades

DSCF0158.jpg

DSCF0160.jpg

It prevents the cutter from getting jammed on an immovable object like a stump.

/ Stump Jumper
ah! excellent..thanks so much for that!

/ Stump Jumper #7  
Can you even purchase a cutter these days without one ?? I haven't seen one without in years

Hey flusher, That's a brand new cutter . It needs to cut some grass:D

/ Stump Jumper #8  
kenmac said:
Can you even purchase a cutter these days without one ?? I haven't seen one without in years

Hey flusher, That's a brand new cutter . It needs to cut some grass:D

Yes, you can. My JD 1517 just has blade carrier bars.. I also see some red, yellow and vlue rotary cutters at my local feed co-op along the fence leaning on post... some have round and oval jumpers.. some just have the carrier bar..

If I had just the bar.. I'd use that mower for 'known' pasture only.. Thusly.. my batwing only mows clean pastures.. If I have unknown ground.. i use my 10' howse with stump jumpers.. etc..

Soundguy

/ Stump Jumper #9  
Some of the IMC (International Machinery Corporation, not International Harvester Corporation) rigs these days do not come from the factory with a blade-pan or "stump-jumper."

I may be way off base, but it seems that Big Bee may be in the same boat.

The blade-pan or stump-jumper is really just a piece of rounded metal around the spindle which prevents the gear box from slamming directly and without protection into a stump/rock, etc and destroying the driveline. Instead, it allows it to ride over or glance off of a fixed obstacel.

Today, there's no reason not to have it when buying any piece of reasonably recently built equipment.

/ Stump Jumper #10  
Until as recently as 4 years ago, Woods medium duty cutters (MD series) were sold without a stumpjumper unless ordered as an option. I bought one and added the stumpjumper myself.