Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Silver Member

Default Re: Drum Mower or Sickle Mower?

I can't imagine either of these options being better than a disc mower. Is there something I'm missing here?
    Greyfields
    Puget Island, Washington
    JD 4120

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 4110

Quote Originally Posted by Greyfields
    I can't imagine either of these options being better than a disc mower. Is there something I'm missing here?
    The orignal poster seems to be asking about drum or sickle mowers only, and not disc. If cost is a factor then the disc mower is much higher than the sickle or drum mowers, plus take more PTO HP to operate.
    Mahindra 4110 w/ FEL, Dearborn 10-152 12" plow, Ford LIFT E Disk, 1 row cultivator, PHD, 6' Box Blade

Gold Member

Flusher- The difference between my recommendation and the sales pitch in your link is OBVIOUS. I aint trying to sell him nothin, just giving an unsolicited opinion, based on my experience. No offense intended to anyone!

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Case DX40

Just read an article on the LSU ag center website that described the benefits of sicklebar mowers but went on to explain how they are falling out of favor in the South. The culprits are fire ants. Apparently, the oscillating blades of sicklebar mowers are easily damaged by this insects' raised mounds.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Jinma JM354

Not trying to steal the thread, but, how do you like the Disc Mower? I've never been around one and am very curious. Place around me are either the old sickle bar or the great big square bales and I've not found any that had any experience with disc type mowers. bjr

Tractor
    New holland TC(33)

they use haybines (the older NH479 type) round these parts. guy down the road cuts about 10 diffrent feilds in the area from my small 3 acre, up to a couple of 10 acre plots.

the advantage of the haybine over a regular sicklebar is it has the front head to help keep the grass/hay etc from laying over and clogging.
    Steve - TC33D 4x4 FEL, dual rear remotes with toys

Tractor
    MF 1533, 2006

Thanks for all the info. Since original post, I learned all about disc mowers, saw one in action and decided to go that route, Kuhn brand. Beetle

Tractor
    Dongfeng

I think Drum Mower will be more widely used in the market through our sales performance.Our drum mower DM135 FOB Shanghai £730,MOQ:1set,is a competitive price,well exported to Europe in a large quantity.We keep quality and reputation first,get good feedback from our customers.We also have our own company in Germany to deal in tractor business.Any requests for tractor implements,welcome to contact me at info@cnd-intl.com.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12