1958 Clark Michigan Loader

/ 1958 Clark Michigan Loader #1  

plowking

Gold Member
Tractor
2009 MF 1531 TLB
This is probably in wrong forum, but my son-in-law just purchased a old loader. I'm looking for places for info, parts ,tires ,etc. He bought it very reasonably, but left rear tire leans, turning radius is not good , it has four wheel drive, motor runs pretty good, but floats in carb are bad. You have to shut off the fuel, when not in use. I told him I'd ask you fine folks for info. I think it is a 85-A, Wauseau[ ?] six cylinder gasoline motor, but the stickers refer to turbo and diesel. Tire size is 1400-24, he needs one. Thanks, P.S. If wrong forum,I do apologise, I posted a thread last week that had to be moved as well. plowking

/ 1958 Clark Michigan Loader #2  
Yes, may yet get closed and moved to the "Construction Equipment" forum, but.

It sounds like the engine is a Waukesha...........they built both gas and diesel engines during their history.

What info are you looking for exactly? A fuel valve cut-off is not all that unusual on older equipment. Tires....quirks...etc..........all to be expected.

/ 1958 Clark Michigan Loader #3  
You might try an INGERSOLL-RAND dealer for info. They took over Clark in the mid 90s.

/ 1958 Clark Michigan Loader #4  
the old Clark loaders are now called Volvo.

/ 1958 Clark Michigan Loader #5  
My friend has new tires and I can get a price from him. His DAd was a dealer here. Those floats can be easily fixed with solder. They are usually Zenith up draft type and simple. Clean it and make sure the valve above the float is working (little rubler seal is seated when bowl is full)
Put a filter between the fuel pump on left side and then to carb.
I got my Michigan almost like new. Parts are easy to find here in Canada....like starter, generator, etc. I had my engine totally rebuilt and all
parts were easy to get and not all that expensive. Total re-build cost was
under $4000 My new tires were under $500 each mounted. Got the steering gear rebuilt last week. Not cheap but works nice now.
Bought a new steering wheel from Clark fork lift dealer for $20. Volvo
bought the company years ago, but there are Waukesha dealers around and a Chinese company makes parts too.
Let me know if you want tires as I will get you a price from the guy I know. Unfortunetley I did not know he had the one block away and bought my new ones retail...so be it.
Paul

/ 1958 Clark Michigan Loader #6  
It sounds like a turbo diesel engine went bad and a gas engine was put in to replace it.

No biggie, except for the increased fuel consumption.

/ 1958 Clark Michigan Loader #7  
I just redid a rear axle on a similar Michigan the pin/bushingh or bearing int the top and bottom of that side are bad. Tis needs attention fast. Or it will turn pretty sharp and all 4 balls will fall out of that CVjoint. I fixed the loader for a scrap yard and they waited too late they were on the side of the road and had a scrap truck stalled. they went out to push it and the top of the tire hit the hood. Then they were stuck in the middle of a busy highway. If it fall out you can easily have 2000 0r more in that one axle. You can get them at Schafer machinery salvage at Wolf Lake Ill. for about 750 each side for the joints and axles. I think its about 500 to rebush that type portal joint with factory bearings. They are really good loaders for farm use when used with a little common sense. Ive run one alot in a gravel pit and loading logs for a friend. Try also made a wheel dozer version of this machine.

/ 1958 Clark Michigan Loader #8  
Michigan A75's came with Waukesha Gas and later had diesels.
The 190 is strong and does not use that much gas (now gas is cheap anyway) . No gas shut off is needed if the float is working and the gas flow
valve is seating. Simple fix. If I can do it any one can.
I will post a photo of my rig some day. Real sweet as it has a 3 yard bucket and exellent for snow and lighter material.

/ 1958 Clark Michigan Loader #9  
Man, if you know where to get or have a steering box rebuilt PLEASE let me know, my machine is down and I can't find a box anywhere.
Michigan 75A
My friend has new tires and I can get a price from him. His DAd was a dealer here. Those floats can be easily fixed with solder. They are usually Zenith up draft type and simple. Clean it and make sure the valve above the float is working (little rubler seal is seated when bowl is full)
Put a filter between the fuel pump on left side and then to carb.
I got my Michigan almost like new. Parts are easy to find here in Canada....like starter, generator, etc. I had my engine totally rebuilt and all
parts were easy to get and not all that expensive. Total re-build cost was
under $4000 My new tires were under $500 each mounted. Got the steering gear rebuilt last week. Not cheap but works nice now.
Bought a new steering wheel from Clark fork lift dealer for $20. Volvo
bought the company years ago, but there are Waukesha dealers around and a Chinese company makes parts too.
Let me know if you want tires as I will get you a price from the guy I know. Unfortunetley I did not know he had the one block away and bought my new ones retail...so be it.
Paul

/ 1958 Clark Michigan Loader #10  
Ranchero try Shaefer euipment salvage at Wolf Lake Ill. they have several Clark Michigan parts. 1800 626 6046 618 833 5498 or Schaefer Enterprises- Used Construction and Logging Equipment Parts A customer of mine just bought an enire planetary from them for reasonable ammount. They seem to be very knowlegable and have lots of inventory. My customer has already talked about using a rotary vavle and pump setup with a remote steering cylinder on his loader.