Winch work

/ Winch work #1  

Youare

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3000
It seems that many of you have 3PH winches or are thinking of getting one. I'm sure there is a great deal of experience among those of us who have winches.

Sharing our knowledge may be useful for all especially those who may be new to 3PH winches.

I have a small Farmi winch that has outrigger legs instead of a rear dozer style back. The winch is rated for tractors in the 18-35 hp range. The drum holds 150 feet of 1/2 diameter cable. The cable is really what is known as wire rope, it is not as stiff as cable. Single line pull is around 5,800 pounds.

I used this winch on a Ford 8N for over 20 years, now I use it on my Kubota L3000DT also. One of the biggest differences I noticed in the operation of the winch from one tractor to the other is the engine RPM necessary.

To get the proper PTO speed and power the Kubota's engine RPM are higher than that of the Ford 8N. Not a problem just a difference I noticed.

I learned the hard way that you need to pull in a direct line with the tractor. A few degrees to either side is okay for light pulling, but for heavy stuff line the tractor up with the load. This may take a few extra minutes but it is well worth the time to keep bad things from happening.

I broke one of the lift arms on my 8N pulling too much to the side one day. The winch pivots on one side lifting and twisting the 3PH lift arms. There could be a danger of rolling the tractor over if you got carried away.

Stand off to the side as far as you can when pulling a load. Some times the tractor can move backwards easier than the load will move foward. So make sure you don't position the tractor right on the edge of a drop off,or it may.

Another reason for standing off to the side is so you don't get in the way of what you are pulling or have pulled. There are occasions when what you are pulling comes up against other pieces already pulled up and the end of the log near you comes at your feet and could pinch you between it and the back of the winch.

When the cable gets worn replace it. There is are chance it could break and if that happens while under a hard pull it could literally cut you in half. The little picks on the cable also can give you a nasty cut if you run your hand along the cable, wear gloves.

If the load you are pulling gets stuck on an obstacle be careful, if you try to pull it off by appling more power to the winch. I have pulled over small trees which almost hit me on ocassion doing just that.

If you are working with another person make sure they are way out of the way when you pull a tree or top. My brother and I were getting harvesting tops last year. He was 20 feet from the tree we were pulling when the tip swung around as the butt end hit a rock, it took him right off his feet.

Most of all beware, your winch can and will pull the tractor over backwards if you pull too hard. Use the proper chain or cable chokers, never rope it will snap like a rubber band.

I know there is more, anyone else have some good do's and don'ts?

Randy

/ Winch work #2  
It would be nice to see some pictures of a 3pt winch in operation. Any links out there?

/ Winch work #3  
<font color=blue>The drum holds 150 feet of 1/2 diameter cable. The cable is really what is known as wire rope, it is not as stiff as cable. Single line pull is around 5,800 pounds.
</font color=blue>
I'm curious why they use 1/2" cable. Offroad winches rated at 8000 lbs single line pull (such as the Warn 8274, which can pull a Jeep up a cliff) only use 5/16" cable.

One safety tip from offroad winching is to lay an old blanket over the cable in the middle of the run. If a fastener on either end of the cable breaks the blanket prevents it from flying through you.

Some truck winches have remote controls so that you can winch while safely out of the way. I wonder how something like that might be rigged for a 3PH winch?

Timd

/ Winch work #4  
Randy -- I have the same model only with the blade instead of the legs, so I can lift the butt end right up off the ground and even back for short distances if need be. To your list I would add very little.
1) I've found when the log being winched in hangs up on a rock or stump, slipping the choker chain around so I can pull from the seven or five o'clock positions lets me roll the log right off or over the obstruction. Not sure if that makes sense..?
2) Be aware of your surroundings before taking tension on the rope. A couple of times I had been working by myself and assumed that hadn't changed. One time a mountain biker came racing down the hill and nearly ran into my taut cable /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif and another time my dogs came up to be with me just as I was pulling down a widow maker. So now, before pulling on that lanyard, I do a 360 check of my surroundings.

Pete

/ Winch work
Pete

I know what your saying. One thing I have done on many ocassions when a log that is being pulled hits an obstacle is use one of the two sliders on the cable. I'll find a tree off to the side of the stuck log and wrap a chain choker around it then hook the chain to one of the sliders on the cable. This allows me to change the angle of pull enough to get around the obstacle.

Randy

/ Winch work
Timd

One reason I can think of for using 1/2 inch cable instead of 5/16 is the wear factor. The cable on a winch is designed for everyday use. The winch cable on a truck mounted winch is not expected to perform the same number of pulls per day as a logging winch.

The winch cable sees a lot of wear from friction as the cable wraps around itself on the drum when a hard pull is made, the smaller diameter cable would wear out faster.

There are some new winches out now that have wireless remote control units which allow you to stand anywhere you want. The nice feature on logging winches is the clutch allows you to feather the amount of load used when pulling, it is not all or nothing like other winches.

Randy

/ Winch work #7  
Try using a <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.sprucemtsurplus.com/CordsCable/rsb.jpg>Snatch Block</A> for your side pulls. The side of the sheave swings open so you can get the cable in. Just use a sling around the tree and you have a quick and effective way to shift loads to the side.

/ Winch work #8  
As AndyR stated previously. A snatch block will greatly increase your winching ability especially when you can't get lined up straight with what your pulling. I use mine all the time when snaking tops out of a jam pile. Could'nt live with out it. As a matter of fact when I bought my hoopy there was a snatch block under the seat. A neighbor showed me how to use it. A great compliment to your winch.

winchman

/ Winch work
The snatch block is something I do not have, yet. I have often wonderd the value of such a device, now you guys have convinced me it is worth the investment./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Thanks
Randy