Gotta be an easier way to learn ...

/ Gotta be an easier way to learn ... #21  
Hey Dvurbarg, I really need a tiller. You could send me about $1000 of that new found cash that you had already mentally lost and still feel good about the other thousands you kept!!

/ Gotta be an easier way to learn ... #22  
"So we remove our mittens "

Gloves, Dave , gloves

Great Post !

Always expect the worst and hope for the best !

CHUCK

/ Gotta be an easier way to learn ... #23  
The neighbor took off for England for three years and left me to tend his house. He rented it to a nice family from New Zealand. He also left them a tiller and a nearly new mower. That mower has always been a bear to start. I've helped his kids re-start it with a bit of WD-40 more than a few times after they had killed the engine. I always felt the carb was at fault and running too thin.

The new renters run the mower a few times and he calls me up. Mower won't start. I walk over and try to pull the starter. It's jammed. I check the oil and it's there, but very black. Obviously never been changed. I think he's melted the piston down and frozen it to the cylinder wall. I send him to the local fix-it shop. They look at the mower, roll it over and remove all the grass caught in the discharge vent and start it right up. The renter lets them change the oil and sharpen the blade because he's so embarrased. I'm supposed to be the professional landscaper in the neighborhood, so I'm embarrassed too. I offer to pay for the shop call to keep him quiet.

Live and learn.

/ Gotta be an easier way to learn ... #24  
Harv

When I had heard you guys (previously) talking about weedwackers, I assumed that is what we call a brushcutter or weedeater etc.

The contraption in your photo is something I have not seen before. Does it have blades like a mower, or a big nylon string like our brushcutters etc.?

You know a brushcutter? Little motor on end of shaft, spinning head with nylon cord on the other end??

What is your weedwacker used for (And don't say wacking weeds) /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

Cheers

/ Gotta be an easier way to learn ... #25  
<font color=blue>And don't say wacking weeds</font color=blue>

Uhhh... okay. It's for aggressively reducing the height of unwanted vegetation. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

Sounds like your weedwackers are the same as ours, unless yours rotates the other way due to the Coriolis effect.
wink.gif
I've gone through several of the handheld models over the years, but when I started taking care of the 42 acres, I decided to take it to the next level.

The that I have works the same way as the handheld units, but since your arms would get tired, the 6hp motor rides on a pair of large wheels, so all you have to is push it into battle. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.countryhomeproducts.com:80/Accessory_detail.asp?dept%5Fid=1002&mscsid=TL51DVN8CDQH9LGNW5HQE8U29MS18684>The cord is larger, too, so it handles grass, weeds and small brush. I even bought the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.countryhomeproducts.com:80/Accessory_detail.asp?dept%5Fid=1001&mscsid=TL51DVN8CDQH9LGNW5HQE8U29MS18684>Beaver Blade</A> attachment (12" aluminum disk with a chainsaw blade wrapped around it), which let's me attack some of the woodier growth (like my star thistle) and saplings up to 5" in diameter. /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

If I hadn't bought a tractor and rotaty cutter, I'd probably have gotten the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.countryhomeproducts.com:80//ProductHome.asp?dept_id=200>Field and Brush Mower</A>, too.

I'm sorry -- what was the question?
crazy.gif

/ Gotta be an easier way to learn ... #26  
Neil, "Weedeater" is what we usually call them, too, although that's actually a brand name. I guess they were the first to make them. I think the generic name is "string trimmer" and I've had 4 of the type you mentioned; two electric and two gasoline. But with getting older, and having carpal tunnel syndrome surgery on both hands, I bought the DR trimmer/mower just like Harv has; less vibration for your hands, no weight to carry around, electric start, and more power. And like Harv, I have the "Beaver Blade" so I can take the string head off, put that blade on, and cut down little trees up to about 4.5" in diameter. And they call it a "trimmer/mower" presumably because you can cut at a more consistent height, so you can actually use it as a lawnmower if you want to.

And the DR trimmer/mower (by Country Home Products in Vermont) was the first string trimmer of this type I ever heard of (don't know for sure they were first), but now lots of other companies have also copied the basic design, so you can buy them lots of places.

/ Gotta be an easier way to learn ... #27  
Bird, Harv

How is the DR company to deal with? I bought an older, probably smaller model than yours, at an auction. No electric start. Probably the smallest unit they made at the time. I may be playing with it some and need parts. It starts but won't run well. I haven't even done the simple maintenance on it yet, but since I saw this thread and needed the coupons for my eventual status change, I thought I'd ask./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Gotta be an easier way to learn ... #28  
Chuck, just go to <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.countryhomeproducts.com>Country Home Products</A> and there's an 800 number, places to click on for customer support, tech support, etc. I've just always called them, and they're very good. I broke a lock pin while it was under warranty and they promptly sent another one, and I had a couple of questions about some adjustments that they answered when it was new. And of course, I've replaced an idler pulley (it still worked OK, but was worn and rattling). Of course, for the motors, you can get what you need locally. One thing I don't like on mine is the lack of a fuel shut off valve for the fuel tank. I'm not sure if I got a little trash in the fuel, or if it was just from setting with fuel in the carburetor that evaporated, but when it wouldn't run last summer, and I found the problem was the carburetor, I just bought one locally and replaced it; very simple job.

/ Gotta be an easier way to learn ... #29  
Bird,

Thanks. I'll be playing with it as soon as I can get the time. I figure just cleaning it out and a simple tune up will go a long way towards making it work, but I may have to replace the idle pulley on it too as it is loose. I have to make it work; I got a little enthusiastic at the auction and probably paid too much for it!

Chuck

/ Gotta be an easier way to learn ... #30  
<font color=blue>probably paid too much for it</font color=blue>

Don't know what you paid, but it's doubtful that you paid too much, when you look at what new ones cost./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif