Need help picking a tractor

/ Need help picking a tractor #11  
TheRidge,

My acreage that requires maintanence where my cabin is located is 40 acres. I have a Kubota 32 HP L3000DT with fel and MFWD. It is a good fit for my place.

Where is you place at? Mine is just north of Black River Falls.

/ Need help picking a tractor #12  
I would look at something in the mid-20s to mid-40 HP range. If you plan to finish mow and rough mow think about a mid-mount finish mower and rear rough mower. It's pretty handy not having to switch attachments so often. Mid-mounts are nice if you have a lot of obstacles too. The NH tc30 or JD 790 would be good starting points but a Kubota b3030 with a cab would be sweet.

/ Need help picking a tractor #13  
Where abouts is your land in WI, I have very hilly land and I'm between Tomah and Sparta. I use a JD4120 to maintain a 30 acre tree farm with grass trails and pond. I cut aprox. 7 acres of grass on my house lot as well. I would probably have gone with the 4320 if I could redo it. Because the 4120 is just right and I like Overkill.
Go with the widest mower you can, that really cuts down mowing time.

/ Need help picking a tractor #14  
Theridge:

Welcome to TBN :D! I agree with the suggestions that you look at heavier CUT tractors in the mid 20's to low 30's range with 4WD/MFWD, weighted tires (due to slope, anticipated ground engaging tasks, and FEL work), small footprint (trails), protected underbelly, and good ground clearance. Good luck on your search and keep the posts coming :)! Jay

/ Need help picking a tractor #15  
I had a little Bota and thought it was great until I started to spend a lot of time with a wrench in my hand because I was asking it to do too much in the trail making, wood dragging dept. Now I have a JD4300. Both units were HST with FEL. Now I spend more time on "Johnny" than my Polaris because I can drag back firewood or clear fallen trees while I am cruising the trails. The FEL is also great for bringing back the venison, then hanging it for skinning, or just running the garbage out to the road.
Wouldn't consider going back to a clutch like on the MF30 and Case that I grew up with....Make sure that your tractor comes with a ROPS if it is an older model.
I don't do the lawn with the JD as I picked up an older Wheel Horse riding mower(didn't want to have to mount a big mower every week, then take it off to go out back) I do have a small brush-hog for the trails when needed.

/ Need help picking a tractor
thanks all for the feed back. My land is in Mt. Hope. Great deer hunting!

/ Need help picking a tractor #17  
Both myself, Michigan, and my uncle, Wisconsin, have JD 4310's. There are a lot of them out there used, keep your eyes out for them, they are great machines and would be perfect for your needs. Keep us updated as to what you get.

/ Need help picking a tractor #18  
Theridge said:
Hey all... I am looking for a tractor to maintain my 30 acre hunting/get away property in western Wisconsin, Mostly wooded, with trails to cut, a small food plot to maintain, lawn to mow and grassie fields to cut. A 300' gravel drive to maintain. The local municipality plows the snow but there is always piles and clean up. Lots of wood to be cut and hauled out of the woods. Want to have a finish cut on the lawn but rough cut is fine for the trails and fields. General other chores. The property is on a slope in most of the areas... maybe 10%. I saw a used 2001 Kubota bx1800 54 inch deck and 3 point hitch with 465 hours for $6800.00. Would this work well? Any other ideas?

Need Advice

That BX (13 hp pto) is pretty tiny for your needs. I have a Kubota B7510HST (21 hp engine, 17 hp pto) that does OK on my 10 acres of flat pasture land. For 30 acres I would go for something larger in the 25-30 hp range.

For lawn mowing you want a fairly light weight tractor with turf tires. For field work you would go for a larger, heavier tractor with ag tires.

One compromise might be an orchard tractor. I have a 1964 MF-135 diesel (45 hp engine, 37 hp pto) that I bought last year for $3600. It has wide, low profile tires that work fine on turf and in the field. Just don't make sharp turns on turf or you'll tear up the grass. The photo shows the 135 being repainted.

Attachments

• DSCF0237 (Large).JPG
    DSCF0237 (Large).JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 98
   / Need help picking a tractor #19  
I think you would be able to do a lot with the BX but a larger machine is probably better. On the other hand. I have met a guy who owns 84 acres and he has a Kubota B1700 with no FEL and he said it will pull almost any tree he ever hooked up. He has had the tractor for over 20 years and he still loves it. Just within 5 miles of my house I spoke with several people about their 17-27hp tractors and they all said they are great and WILL DO A LOT. So. If you don't want to spend $25,000 you probably don't have to. Look for a machine in the CUT category in the 20-27 HP range. I have a 21hp tractor and it is most impressive what it can do.

/ Need help picking a tractor #20  
It is not the HP, but how you use the HP that really matters- Jay