Need help adjusting slip clutch

/ Need help adjusting slip clutch #1  

lopezian

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota/L3400
Hi all,

Last week I bought a new rankin tiller (which is really a rebranded tiller from an italian company - Sicma?) Included was a slip clutch on the pto shaft that I think was added by the american distributor, Rankin. The manual that came with the tiller (which was clearly translated to english) does not mention the slip clutch at all so I don't know how to propely adjust it. My understanding is that a proper manual would have specs for exactly how far the 8 bolts should sit above the plate depending on the HP of the tractor.

My tractor is a Kubota L3400 which has 27.5 HP at the PTO. The tiller is abount 60" wide with 6 blades, if that matters.

Can anyone tell me how to adjust the slip clutch for this tiller in the absence of the proper manual?

Do I tighten the bolts, block the tiller with a board and incrementally loosen them until the clutch slips?

Thanks in advance for any help.

/ Need help adjusting slip clutch #2  
That method will work.

Others will gradually tighten the bolts till the clutch does not slip under normal operating conditions. If the clutch slips you tell as it will get hot. Spitting on the fingertip used to check may stop a burn!:D

Supposedly there should be a table showing how many flats and how much the torque is adjusted.:D These may work initially but as age takes its toll you will end up doing the adjustment empirically.:D

/ Need help adjusting slip clutch #3  
Measuring bolts won't help since the clutch's frictino material will wear. Compressed spring height is better but still just guessing. On my Rankin brush hog with a slip clutch there were no instructions. You need to loosen them until it slips and let a little smoke out. Then tight the bolts incrementally until it doesn't slip under normal operation. Then check the clutch for heat after some normal operation to make sure that things are staying put. Get to know this procedure because after the implement sits for any length of time you will need to do it again. The punishment is no driveline protection if you let it rust shut which is a real possibility in your salty air after a week.

/ Need help adjusting slip clutch #4  
Speaking of sitting...it seems when the slip clutch is stored loosening the thing completely and added some separating pads between plates would be a good idea. Youll have to loosen them anyway next work season so might as well do it then and keep the plates from sticking to each other. Sound like a good plan or is it unnecessary?

/ Need help adjusting slip clutch #5  
jimg said:
Speaking of sitting...it seems when the slip clutch is stored loosening the thing completely and added some separating pads between plates would be a good idea. Youll have to loosen them anyway next work season so might as well do it then and keep the plates from sticking to each other. Sound like a good plan or is it unnecessary?

Makes sense to me since even after storing inside I usually need to adjust my slip clutch once or twice a year - It would also be a good reminder that is somewhat foolproof (when your blades won't turn) to make sure it is properly adjusted. If I did this, I would probably be halfway to the otherside of the world on my tractor before I remembered I needed to take my wrenches with me to adjust my clutch :)

/ Need help adjusting slip clutch #6  
OK, I was thinking along these lines b/c when I owned a 21 there was a warning in the manual about disengaging the clutch if the machine was to sit for an extended period. Seems the plates would wind up sticking together. It seems that wold also apply to a slip clutch.

/ Need help adjusting slip clutch #7  
Sometimes the plates on mine stick to the spacers. The slip clutch will also "tighten" up when objects are hit therefore knocking it out of spec. and resulting in the SC taking more stress to make it slip on the next occurance.