What to expect from a compact crawler

/ What to expect from a compact crawler #1  

jmfox

Platinum Member
I have recently took possession of an ASV SR80. Because of some electrical problems my experience is very limited but here are some things that I realized immediately: The feel of an all hydraulic variable displacement power systems are difficult to get use to compared to mechanical drive and mechanical pumps. In the old days a machine would keep crawling until it died, now the tracks stop to share power with the bucket or simply poop out. There use to be considerable leverage realized when a machine was crawling forward, twisting turning, while the bucket was lifting and curling. With the new hydraulics it just seems to take a break if you work it too hard. I have a 4-in-1 bucket and if I use it as a dozer blade, in any establish soil, even top soil, the machine stops. With a little finesse you can get it to do a little dozer work, but angle seems to be a must. I guess this isn't my father's 933 traxcavator. It's going to take me awhile to enjoy it's potential, but it seems best suited for cleaning up. Has any done any series digging with a compact crawler?

jmf

Last edited:
   / What to expect from a compact crawler #2  
jmfox said:
I have recently took possession of an ASV SR80. Because of some electrical problems my experience is very limited but here are some things that I realized immediately: The feel of an all hydraulic variable displacement power systems are difficult to get use to compared to mechanical drive and mechanical pumps. In the old days a machine would keep crawling until it died, now the tracks stop to share power with the bucket or simply poop out. There use to be considerable leverage realized when a machine was crawling forward, twisting turning, while the bucket was lifting and curling. With the new hydraulics it just seems to take a break if you work it too hard. I have a 4-in-1 bucket and if I use it as a dozer blade, in any establish soil, even top soil, the machine stops. With a little finesse you can get it to do a little dozer work, but angle seems to be a must. I guess this isn't my father's 933 traxcavator. It's going to take me awhile to enjoy it's potential, but it seems best suited for cleaning up. Has any done any series digging with a compact crawler?

jmf

"JMF"--Ask your question in the Construction Equipment Forum on this site; and you will get many answers and procedures for your SR 80!!

/ What to expect from a compact crawler #3  
And for gawd's sakes..... post us some pictures !!