Started to learn to use my tractor today!

/ Started to learn to use my tractor today! #71  
Dennis, once again, great photos.

Garden is coming along well. Nice looking dirt you got in there now. What are you planting?

I saw where you widened your front wheels, so I tried it myself. I was looking for more stability since I have some slopes. It didn't work for me. Steering was tougher, and I don't think I was getting traction up front as well. I'll switch back tomorrow.

We had company over all day, and it killed me to not be able to sit on the Yanmar for a bit. Seems most evenings I go out and push a pile of dirt around for no good reason. :)

/ Started to learn to use my tractor today!
Not really sure what I'm gonna plant in the garden yet, I plan to do a bit bigger vegetable garden out behind the barn where I am digging up some of this good soil from so that I don't have to do this whole process again :).

I'm kind of split on the wheels too. I do like the bit of extra stability, but man the thing can be hard to turn sometimes. With something heavy like the bush hog or the dirt scoop with a big scoop of dirt in it it isn't really an issue, but when trying to back the tractor into the area where I park it in the barn without much weight on the 3pt. hitch it can be a bear to steer the thing, and I don't like to really crank on the steering wheel because I know thats quite a bit of stress being put on there.

So... I really don't know what to say about it, I really like having the extra stability but I also liked how easy the tractor was to manuever when the wheels were the other way...

/ Started to learn to use my tractor today! #73  
Hi Dennis! Cool pix.

I've been eyeing the stalls in your barn - the sliding doors/bars. Did you put them in yourself? We've got a very old barn with petrified wood so it is nearly indistructable, but we've got all manner of make-shift latches and clasps to keep doors closed. I fear I'm stuck with this because the barn floor itself is dirt and slopes a good foot over the length of the barn for drainage!

I had no idea how much fun a tractor would be - my wife and kids have the horses.

-Brian

/ Started to learn to use my tractor today! #74  
Dennis,

I just got caught-up on this thread, I hadn't read it for a while.
Great pics and the videos are way cool!

You are logging some serious hours with that dirt scoop.
I would have to give you "Expert" rating with a dirt scoop! ;)

I have an idea for your dilemma with your little lawn tractor.
Get it running. Sell it on CraigsList. Use the proceeds as a down payment on a 3Pt. Finish mower. A 3 Pt. Finish mower can give a nice lawn cut, especially on your level ground. Easy-On, easy Off like most 3 Pt. implements.
This would get rid of some maintainance for you, and add to your collection of 3 Pt. toys, errr, I mean attachments.

You have a beautiful piece of ground there.

/ Started to learn to use my tractor today!
I have an idea for your dilemma with your little lawn tractor.
Get it running. Sell it on CraigsList. Use the proceeds as a down payment on a 3Pt. Finish mower. A 3 Pt. Finish mower can give a nice lawn cut, especially on your level ground. Easy-On, easy Off like most 3 Pt. implements.

You know, thats actually a really good idea. I don't know how much the thing would be worth, but whatever I could get for it would probably help out a lot.

The problem with selling it right now is that we are still trying to sell our 3 acres over in Durham, NC. The riding mower was used for a couple years at this place, and was a big help over there, the yard is steep and it makes for a really long day to mow with a push mower.

That is all to say right now I need the riding mower to take care of that property (until it becomes someone else's problem! :)). I just drive it up the ramps into the back of my truck every couple weeks and take it over there to mow.

I don't think my Yanmar with the bush hog would a. Be able to drive up the ramps without completely crushing them and falling off halfway up, and b. actually fit in the bed of my truck.

If I had a trailer, this would be no problem, but at the moment I don't.

I am going to be purchasing a horse trailer soon, if I can remove the divider on it do you think it would be suitable for hauling around my tractor?