Started to learn to use my tractor today!

/ Started to learn to use my tractor today! #1  

dieselfuelonly

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM1401D
After getting the leaky cooling hoses replaced I am happy to say that the tractor has not overheated since. I have not taken it out in the field and bush hogged at over 2000RPM on the tach yet, but I did to a bit of work (err, playing) today and it seemed just fine.

Put my first very own hour on the engine today.

Anyway, where this spot is there used to be an above-ground pool that came with the house. Sold it to someone because it was useless. Not sure what we want to do here yet, maybe some kind of a pond? Anyways, it was fun to play in the sand, I felt like a little kid in the sandbox again, but this time my tractor wasn't the size of my fist and rusting in 40 different spots.

I know I didn't do a very good job, I crawled along in low range 1st gear, using 4WD when I needed the extra traction to fill the bucket. But, it was fun nonetheless and I am getting a very good feel for what lever does what without having to pause and think about it.

p1010001-1.jpg

P1010002-2.jpg

P1010003-2.jpg

P1010004-2.jpg

P1010005-3.jpg

P1010006-3.jpg

/ Started to learn to use my tractor today! #2  
Dieselfuelonly:

The only way one learns to use a tractor is to use it. You are doing what you need to do and stop the self-criticism. We have all been there whether or not we want to admit
(I have been there and done that! :D.). You are getting a good feel for your tractor :). Keep on "playing" and posting- Jay

/ Started to learn to use my tractor today! #3  
Good job or no?

Looks to me like you added an hour to the meter - Good Job!

Those back pan were never a favorite with me, I don't know how anyone gets much done with them. Still, better than a shovel and wheel barrow.

Here's a general hint: Don't practice with the tractor where the wife can see the mess. ;-)

jb

/ Started to learn to use my tractor today!
Thanks guys :).

I'm really glad I got a 4WD tractor. When the bucket would start to fill up the back tires would still pull, but the more dirt got in the bucket i could just watch the tractor start to move slower and slower. But, all I had to do was stop and put it in 4WD and keep on going!

/ Started to learn to use my tractor today! #5  
You'll get better with more hours...

/ Started to learn to use my tractor today! #6  
Here's a general hint: Don't practice with the tractor where the wife can see the mess. ;-)

Or the big grin/smile on your face. Hey, this is supposed to be "work".:D

Just read your other post where you bought the tractor. Looks like you got a great deal.

/ Started to learn to use my tractor today! #7  
Dieselfuelonly,

Glad to see you got her home safe. Here is a tip for you regarding the dirt scoop: It's reversable! You can back up into the pile also. Took me awhile to figure that one out. I never had much luck with my scoop, but it did cut off a few small shrubs (turned around so it faced the rear).

/ Started to learn to use my tractor today! #8  
Mornin Dieselfuelonly,
Looks like your havin a heck of a good time to me ! :) You will be wanting a front loader shortly ! ;) Have fun !

/ Started to learn to use my tractor today! #9  
BTDT said:

Or the big grin/smile on your face. Hey, this is supposed to be "work".:D

Just read your other post where you bought the tractor. Looks like you got a great deal.

Dieselfuelonly:

Listen to BTDT's sage advise :D! I have lost count of the number of times that "She Who Must Be Obeyed" :eek: has come running out of the house :( to "loudly" inquire :mad: as to what I was doing ;). Of course I was working :cool:. Jay

/ Started to learn to use my tractor today!
Here's todays update. Got to learn a lot more about the engine today. I was working (playing) in my oversized "sandbox" today, and as I was heading back to the barn I revved the tractor up a bit and it sputtered and died.

I was a little bit worried because the diesel I had previously bought for the tractor had smelled a bit like gasoline. But so did the diesel fuel that was left here in a can by the previous owner, and so diesel the fuel that I put in my truck and the fuel that someone I know puts in their truck. Its kind of odd, I don't know why it has the "gassy" smell too it. Anyway, I decided to see if it would burn like gasoline. Poured a little bit in a little spray paint can cap and threw matches at it from a good distance. Also poured some on the concrete to see it if might light. Luckily it didn't. I also noticed later on that the fuel doesn't give your hands that "cold" feeling that gasoline does when you drip some on you because I guess it doesn't evaporate as fast. Anyway, I soon ruled that out.

So I went back to the tractor and was kneeling down looking at the side of the motor. Noticed there was a liquid dripping off of the front diff at a pretty good rate. At first I was worried that it was a big leak of diff. fluid, but I kept following it up to the top of the motor where the fuel line connects to the barb after the barb on the fuel filter. It was cracked and I was losing fuel pretty good. Noticed that the fuel filter assembly had a shutoff valve on it. Couldn't turn it by hand, but I managed to shut it off with some pliers. Then I went on a wild chase through down in rush hour in a dually truck (NOT FUN) for a auto parts place that was open. Finally found a shop with a guy working after hours that was nice enough to sell me the hose that I needed.

Got back, put the new hose on on the fuel filter barb. Opened the valve and let some fuel flow through and connected it to the next barb. I then tried to start the tractor. I tried a couple times, nothing worked. It would sputter and die a few seconds later. So, after looking through my manual (thank god the tractor came with those!) I found how to loosen the screws to bleed air. Started with the two by the fuel filter, they were good. Then went to the one by the barb towards the top of the engine. A little bit of burbling later the fuel started coming through. Hoping so much that I wouldn't have to crack the injector lines for the first time (never had to do that on any diesel before), I gave it a shot. Starter decided to pull its grinding trick a couple times, but after a bump or two she fired right up and ran like nothing had ever happened.

Anyway, after filling the tank back up with fuel, I went on and decided to try out my tiller. Two things I have learned: It is near impossible to back the tractor right up to the implement and be able to connect it in the first try. I ended up having the manhandle the tiller around until I was able to get the pins through. Wasn't that bad actually.

Before connecting the pins though I had to put the PTO shaft for the tiller back together, it had separated where the the shaft can slide along to extend or retract. That wasn't fun. After covering my hands in grease (next time I'll wear gloves) I managed to get it on there. Hooked the shaft up to the tractor and went on my way to a spot to try out out.

(Note that this spot was FAR FAR away from any part of the property that could get me yelled at if I tilled it up, thanks for the heads up guys LOL).

Tilled for a couple feet just to test it out, I will maybe start working on a littler garden tomorrow. Tiller works great!

Anyway, sorry for the really long post, thought I would just share my experience with you all and post a couple pics.

Trying to see if fuel would light like gasoline, thankfully it didn't!

p1010001-2.jpg

P1010002-3.jpg

P1010003-3.jpg

P1010004-3.jpg