Grading Front or Rear Blade for BX2350?

/ Front or Rear Blade for BX2350? #1  

cbg1028

Tractor
BX 2350
Got the 2350 about a year ago, and as winter approaches I been debating on what type of snow removal equipment to purchase. I live in CT and do not get that much snow nor is the season long enough to warrant the cost of a snow blower attachment. I have been looking at front and rear blades. I know the front blade is functional for more than just snow.
I like the idea of a Front Blade more so than the rear blade. I have gotten a quote on a front blade that is controllable via the existing controls for about 1500 installed. I know it is more expensive than rear blade, and is more user friendly in my opinion.

If anyone owns one and can give me any input on how well they work in all aspects of operation/installation I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!!!

/ Front or Rear Blade for BX2350? #2  
why not just use the FEL for snow removal? by your post it appears you don't get that much snow. I on the other hand get a lot of snow and i use my FEL and rear blade fo all snow removal. MIght take a bit longer but not really that much longer.

/ Front or Rear Blade for BX2350?
Frank_F15 -
Thanks for the input!
Does the FEL do any damage to the driveway, if you use it to push the snow?

/ Front or Rear Blade for BX2350? #4  
cbg1028 said:
I have gotten a quote on a front blade that is controllable via the existing controls for about 1500 installed. I know it is more expensive than rear blade, and is more user friendly in my opinion.

quote]

Exactly, the front blade is a lot more user friendly. I also live in CT and I also pondered on the idea of getting the front mount Kubota blower but way to much $$$ for the amount of snow we get and the length of the season. I decided to go with the Kubota front quick hitch and front blade and it worked flawlessly last winter. With the quick hitch you can always purchase a front blower later if you like or a front broom.

I guess if you don't mind looking backwards you can run a rear blade in reverse but that is not my cup of tea. If you run forward with a rear blade you are compacting the snow first with the tractor before the blade even reaches it. If you have the $$ the front blade is the way to go.

Norm

/ Front or Rear Blade for BX2350? #5  
I had a kubota 2019 power angle front blade, for my B7500. It was one of the best snowplows i have ever owned!

/ Front or Rear Blade for BX2350? #6  
Consider fitting a pickup truck plow to your tractor. Works great for me. Use the loader hydraulics for up/down and left/right. Don't need the loader frame. Easy on and off. My neck could never take the rear plow. My tractor has more fwd gears than reverse so I went with the front setup.

/ Front or Rear Blade for BX2350? #7  
I just use my FEL. I initially use it like a plow until the resultant snow pile reaches a size that warrants use of the FEL as a FEL (With light and fluffy snow the pile can get pretty large.). I have a +200' (not including parking/turn around areas) gravel driveway so once everything freezes up I do not have to worry about gouging the surfaces (including grass). Before the surface hard freezes I am careful about keeping the FEL slightly above the "driveway" surface with the cutting edge slightly elevated. With a hard surfaced driveway (which I never had) I would think that you would need to keep the FEL in "float" position with the cutting edge slightly elevated in order to minimize gouging. I have seen a lot of operators using their FEL's to plow their hard surfaced driveways with good effect, but I have not looked closely enough to see if any gouging has ocurred and/or what shape their FEL cutting edges are in. Just my $0.02. Jay

/ Front or Rear Blade for BX2350? #8  
I'm a neck strainer. I used a Rear Blade on my Ford 1210 for 20 years.
From 2" snows , up to and including 30"+ inches of snow. That was on my last driveway which was about 300 feet long. Also used it a couple seasons at my new place, with over a 400' drive, plus a 2 car parking area and widened area in front of the garage. It can be done.

I looked at the front blade for the BX2350. Pricey. the only way I'd go is fully controllable height and angle using the front hydraulics. How would it function? It would be a dream! They work so well it's hard to describe.
But, I have the FEL, so that will be what I use on the front.
I'll use the Rear Blade on the back, also. I can't justify the cost of the Front blade, maybe if I was in Vermont or Minnesota I could justify a blower and a front blade??

This will be my snow set-up, FEL and Rear Blade, except the blade will spend more time facing backwards.
Snow Fighting Mode

Here's the Ford1210 (circa 2003). Those piles were heaped with the rear blade the night before, it was morning, and time to back out and clear what fell over night.
BigSnowTractor.jpg

and my helper, Ted. On the front sidewalk.
BigSnowTed.jpg

/ Front or Rear Blade for BX2350? #9  
A front blade is about 10x more useful than a rear blade. It's also 5x more expensive. If you can afford the front (with hydraulic angle), that's the way to go.

I don't like using FEL for anything snow related except picking up piles and moving them. Why? Snow packs into the bucket fast and you have to shovel it out or you are scooping next to nothing. There is no angle to the bucket, so you can't push snow without leaving trails on either side. It also has no bottom bouncers, so you can scrape off the asphalt in a heart beat. Others seem to like using the FEL, I guess they may have better technique than me. I do like the idea of adapting a truck blade to the FEL arms. For small machines like the BX, they may weigh too much, that would be the only down side.

jb

/ Front or Rear Blade for BX2350? #10  
If you don't have the loader, and don't think you'll be needing one, I would get the front blade. I have the loader and a rear blade on my BX. I back down and up the driveway with my blade reversed in heavy snow, then clean up the parking area with the loader. For light snows,say up to 4 or 5 inches, I drive down the driveway forward, with the blade angled normally. The front blade would be great if you don't have the loader though.