L2800 is fine; K4240 not big enough

/ L2800 is fine; K4240 not big enough
Slacker, I've tried a bunch of things on the truck; Flowmasters, K&N air filter set up and have even given thought to changing the ring gear and pinion to the 3.73 gear ratio. I can get 12.5 on the highway, pulling the tractor. Maybe I should tow the truck, and drive the tractor.:eek:

/ L2800 is fine; K4240 not big enough #12  
DonR,
I went from a L2800HST to the 4240HST. There are a lot of "features" on the 4240 that the 2800 didn't have. I was running into that stalling problem as well. I'm at work right now and I don't recall exactly what they call this option, I think it's auto throttle. If that is engaged or in the on postion you're going to have a hard time mowing. It runs the motor like a truck, which may be nice for somethings but nothing that I've done yet. I would think that the dealer would know this.
I've had pretty good luck up to this point, I really like the 4240. It's a nice piece of equipment. Doesn't sound like you had a great expierence.
tpevoto

/ L2800 is fine; K4240 not big enough #13  
Don R. said:
Slacker, I've tried a bunch of things on the truck; Flowmasters, K&N air filter set up and have even given thought to changing the ring gear and pinion to the 3.73 gear ratio. I can get 12.5 on the highway, pulling the tractor. Maybe I should tow the truck, and drive the tractor.:eek:

I've got a buddy that had the same problems with his 2500HD. No matter what he did he couldn't get more mileage out of it. He finally solved the problem. He traded it in for a diesel.

TPeveto, I am going to Hillsboro Texas (where the dealer is located) tomorrow and get this settled once and for all. I really like the larger horsepower, and looked forward to having that option.

I mowed "haygrazer" which is a another word for Sudan this afternoon with my 2800. The grass was over hood tall; in fact my horses get lost in it, but the 2800 just blazed right through it. No stall; no bogging down.

I do appreciate your comment. I will certainly bring this to their attention. The young man who delivered the tractor was not familiar with the thing; and I had not had the opportunity to even test it before delivery. This was my fault; and I will get proper instruction on the 4240's features before I decide to keep it.

Keith, I spoke with a buddy the night before last and he called to give me an update on the "new" diesel Chevy trucks. His company purchased 4 new Duramax trucks within the past month. They are all averaging a whopping 13mpg at this time.

For $10,000 for the option, and diesel running about 18 cents per gallon more, I don't think that I can afford the Chevy diesel at this time.:)

Ok, my tractor brothers, here is another clue to the puzzle. The new Bushhog Squealer has a solid plate over the rear of the deck which does not allow for grass to be ejected, but causes the brush hog to act as a mulcher. I went to the dealer's farm this morning and mowed an area which has shorter grass than I have, and sure nuff, it bogged down. The dealer suggests that I either step up to the 47 hp or purchase a set of chains for the rear of the deck.

Any suggestions?

/ L2800 is fine; K4240 not big enough #17  
I think that the 4240 should be able to handle a 6 ft regular duty rotary cutter fine. Who knows, maybe there is just just some problem with that particular machine.

In your situation, I'd take the opportunity to step up to a 4740 or a 5240.

You won't be able to beat the extra HP. It will only cost you a bit now but a lot if you pass up on it now. Just bite the bullet and move up for the extra HP. You won't regret it. Plus you get to not deal with whatever is going on with the L4240 you tried. Sometimes there is a bad apple out there and if you don't have to, best not deal with it.

Well, I have taken the plunge and jumped on the 4740 tractor. It will cost be a difference of $1300 over the price of the 4240, which "ain't bad."

I should take possession of the 4740 within the next couple of days. I'll be sure and give you all an update on the new one. I am excited, to say the least, but I will be a little sorry to see the ole 2800 go.

/ L2800 is fine; K4240 not big enough #19  
Don - I think you made the right choice. $1300 is not much in the long run.

/ L2800 is fine; K4240 not big enough #20  
Don R. Congrats on your purchase. I started shoping for a replacement for my B3030 cab, nice tractor just started being to small for all the addittional task I wanted to do over the winter. I started to look at the L3540, but was conserned it's power would be a marginal increase. Than almost decided for the L4240, which would have easily handled the new additional task. At the last minute before ordering the 4240, it dawned on me... why not jump to the 5240, and not have to worry about out growing my hp. needs.
My new saying.. you can grow into a larger tractor...or... grow out of a smaller tractor.
Also I couldn't resist the fact that my new toy/tool has a turbo!
No doubt in my wife's mind that I'm addicted to diesl power...it's a macho thing.
Frank