L2800 is fine; K4240 not big enough

/ L2800 is fine; K4240 not big enough #1  

Don R.

Bronze Member
Tractor
2005 Kubota L2800
This may seem like a strange problem, but I am at a loss. I have a 2005 L2800 Kubota with the hydro transmission, 5' loader and a 5' Rhino shredder. I have mowed my 5 acre tract and my neighbor's 5 acres since I bought it new in September of 05. It never failed me once; and worked like a horse in even overgrown weeds adn grass.

I recently decided that I needed more power to move round hay bales, as well as to do contract mowing. I purchased a new Kubota 4240 with the hydro transmission, 6' loader and 6' shredder. The tractor would run hotter than normal, would not cut in mid range, and would actually stall and die if I ran the mowing speed above 1 1/2 mph. The funny thing is, this is the same height grass that the 2800 breezes through.

The dealer has taken the 4240 back pending my decision of whether to keep it or stay with the 2800. I am befuddled by this; as 44hp should mow with no problem. Shouldn't it?

/ L2800 is fine; K4240 not big enough #2  
You are right. That makes no sense what-so-ever.

Are you sure that some of them new HST+ features are not enabled when you are mowing? Not sure what the heck I am talking about but when I tried a new L3940 out the dealer pointed out to me that they should be turned off when mowing.

/ L2800 is fine; K4240 not big enough
Canoe, I don't know. I've talked to the dealer numerous times and he is at a loss as well.

The temperature problem; the lack of power; and I didn't mention that it used 16 gallons of fuel to mow 5 acres (took 9 hours, as this is as fast as it would run) have him stymied.

Maybe I need to go "green.":)

/ L2800 is fine; K4240 not big enough #4  
Sounds like the hydraulic pump on the 4240 is lackluster.

jmf

/ L2800 is fine; K4240 not big enough #5  
Don R. said:
The temperature problem; the lack of power; and I didn't mention that it used 16 gallons of fuel to mow 5 acres (took 9 hours, as this is as fast as it would run) have him stymied.

Maybe I need to go "green.":)[/QUOTE

Sounds like it could be hydraulics or it might have a fuel injection problem. Can your dealer get another one to try?

JM & CCSIAL
Thanks guys for the recommendations. I have the option to get another tractor; and this gives me something to work on.

I have also contacted a JD dealer in the Houston area, and I can bump up to the 4520 for about the same price as the Kubota, and that includes a 20' trailer.

Now, I really am confused.

/ L2800 is fine; K4240 not big enough #7  
Midlothian and Houston isn't exactly real close to one another so if your thinking of this JD then it must be a real good deal;)

Wushaw, it looks like one.:p I'm waiting to hear on their offer for my "old" 2005 2800.

I have a Chevy 2500HD with the 6L gasoline engine; I want to do my part for the oil companies by towing the rig back home from Houston.

/ L2800 is fine; K4240 not big enough #9  
Don R. said:
Maybe I need to go "green.":)

Come on, there is no need to go there!

/ L2800 is fine; K4240 not big enough #10  
Don R. said:
Wushaw, it looks like one.:p I'm waiting to hear on their offer for my "old" 2005 2800.

I have a Chevy 2500HD with the 6L gasoline engine; I want to do my part for the oil companies by towing the rig back home from Houston.

I've got the same truck...and you ain't kidding! Towing is expensive biz.