"Bogging" down the engine

/ "Bogging" down the engine #21  
Its all about listening to the engine. I often wonder if people who are raised on automatic transmissions and HST tractors ever learn to listen to the engine. The reason I wonder that is that I have noticed that I don't pay attention to the engine now that I've been driving my first ever automatic transmission for 4 years.

But, when I drive a stick or my geared tractor, it all comes back. So that's why I suspect a lot of people have no idea what an engine is telling them.

Plus, the other day, I wasn't listening. Was pulling the box blade through some dense soil. Usually have it in a lower gear but had put it in a higher gear to travel a short distance. Didn't down shift and as the boxblade dug in and filled up, the engine started to lug, bog strain or whatever you want to call it. I was already hot, tired and frustrated and began to floor it when I realized I was in too high a gear. So even those of us who think we speak the language can get stupid when the conditions are right. It didn't take me long to realize what was going on...black smoke, heading towards a stall, me cussing out loud and when I realized it I down shifted and chugged right along.

I'm assuming no real harm done, but wouldn't want to do the poor machine that way all day.

Long story short, listen to the engine, it will tell you what to do...oh, and when you are hot, mad, tired and frustrated, it might be better to be on the porch than the tractor.

/ "Bogging" down the engine #22  
Long story short, listen to the engine, it will tell you what to do...
Hear hear! :D

There are times when I'll turn everything off and just listen to my auto's going throught the gears and especially when holding a nice steady speed and rpm. It' like music to my ears :D

Even my HST BX will tell me when I should go to low range or when to slow down in the thick stuff.

Lugging or bogging down, don't matter symantics, working an engine too slow for the job at hand tain't good for it, especially when alittle more throttle smooths it all out....

/ "Bogging" down the engine #23  
N80 said:
It didn't take me long to realize what was going on...black smoke, heading towards a stall, me cussing out loud and when I realized it I down shifted and chugged right along.

I'm assuming no real harm done, but wouldn't want to do the poor machine that way all day.

Long story short, listen to the engine, it will tell you what to do...oh, and when you are hot, mad, tired and frustrated, it might be better to be on the porch than the tractor.

You didn't hurt anything.

I remember watching two guys run D6 and D7 Cat dozers. While digging (under full load), the engines would get to running so slow you could see individual puffs of smoke coming from the exhaust.

/ "Bogging" down the engine #24  
I really don't think that is a good thing. Those engines are pretty tough, but running under that big of a load at what, 7-800 rpm? Not good. Pistons, cranks, rods, sleeves all expensive!

Just my opinion.

/ "Bogging" down the engine #25  
I remember watching two guys run D6 and D7 Cat dozers. While digging (under full load), the engines would get to running so slow you could see individual puffs of smoke coming from the exhaust.
Bet those puffs were white/blue too......

Theres a reason why those machines have to be serviced just about every AM before they go to work. They can go through engine oil as much as fuel.....

/ "Bogging" down the engine #26  
I've been following this thread...

I think we're confusing bogging and lugging. I'm not sure if there's really a difference other then degree.
Bogging, to me, would be a minor slow down of the engine while working it hard. This would be a short term (a few minutes at most).
Lugging would be a more continuous thing..and more severe. More severe to the point it could do engine damage if not stopped (by going to a lower gear, for example).

When I'm brush cutting, I'll go through an area of thicker brush which slows the engine RPM. I'll slow or stop travel until the engine RPM returns to normal.
I've never lugged an engine...but it's a result of working it too hard at too high a gear.

/ "Bogging" down the engine #27  
if you want to SEE the effect of lugging your diesel engine just install a pyrometer - an exhaust gas temperature gauge. Those temperatures will rise and fall with the efficient operation of the engine, and they go up and down quickly in direct relation to the speed and load.

How hot is too hot depends on the engine and it's configuration (and owner opinion), but run at too high a temperature for long and a holed piston will likely be the result.

/ "Bogging" down the engine #28  
So let's see if I have this right.

"Bogging" is overloading the engine at a reasonable RPM but when the tractor is struggling to keep up that RPM? i.e. I'm pulling a disc with my tractor at 2,400 RPM in 5th gear and the disc really digs in deep, I go to full throttle (540 PTO on my tractor is 2,400 RPM but the tach goes to 2,600 RPM) and the tractor drops to 2,100 RPM and holds it there but is straining quite a bit. After about 15 seconds of leaving it at 2,100 RPM while it is at full throttle and noticeablely straining, I downshift to 4th gear and the tractor runs back up to 2,400 RPM easily.

"Lugging" is when the tractor runs all the way down to 1,000 RPM under the same scenario and I just keep chugging along with the tractor literally crying in pain underneath me.

Does this sound right?

Thanks, Nathan

/ "Bogging" down the engine #29  
RoyJackson said:
I've been following this thread...

I think we're confusing bogging and lugging. I'm not sure if there's really a difference other then degree.
Bogging, to me, would be a minor slow down of the engine while working it hard. This would be a short term (a few minutes at most).
Lugging would be a more continuous thing..and more severe. More severe to the point it could do engine damage if not stopped (by going to a lower gear, for example).
Roy, I tend to agree with your analogies.
I think posterboy and Johnbud were trying to say the same things too.
Bogging of an engine occurs all the time to some degree while working the tractor due to variations in working conditions...assuming a preset rpm. Lugging would be when the working conditions continue to impose such a load on the engine that either a lower gear selection then becomes appropriate or lessening the load is required.

/ "Bogging" down the engine #30  
John Bud,
It is a 1000RPM attachment...a 9 ft. Woods SS108 as I recall. Two augers and a blower.

I was attempting to clear snow from a 3800' asphalt runway. Snow was about 14" deep. Progress was painfully slow. 0.6 mph. HST was in low range.

Would've thought 105HP could move a 9 ft. blower faster than that. Maybe it wasn't setup/designed right.

Before the winter was over I dropped the blower off the TV140 and just used the tractor w/pusher for clearing the ramp and taxiway turnoffs. Used a dumptruck with a blade for the runway & main taxiway.

Everything was owned by the county and in excellent shape. I may end up with the same assignment this winter and would like to find something that blower is good for....other than postcard pictures of a New Holland throwing snow.
Bob