What to charge for tilling?

/ What to charge for tilling? #1  

Blk88GT

Silver Member
Long story:

A guy @ work had me move some top soil for him back in the spring. I moved roughly 60 yards and leveled/graded his lot for him and planted his supplied grass seed (remeber, this will be come into play later) We're talking about 1/2 an acre in the city, with some obstacles to deal with (fences, new construction etc)

I charged him nothing, because he was a friend. I told him to make sure there was plenty of cold here. I got 2 warm beers for 11 hours of work (I ended up doing his neighbors yard at the same time, who I charged $75 for an hour of work (grading/leveling and spreading top soil)

Now, he called me and asked me if I had a tiller and if I would come and till up his yard for him. Apparently he's not happy with the grass that's growing, and there's weeds all over. He didn't do any spraying all summer, contrary to my advice. Anyways.

What is a fair price to till his yard up? He was going to do it by hand, which I would imagine is not enjoyable at the least. Home Depot charges $65/day for a rototiller, and he has a bad back.

What would you charge this guy? I have a brand new 48" tiller (it has about 6 minutes of tilling on it!) and would have to drive roughly 20 miles. Keep in mind he's a friend, but my previous dealing makes me think he should pay for this service.

Last edited:
   / What to charge for tilling? #2  
Man on man, you work cheap!

I'll pay you 3 cold beers per 8 hour day - and an additional cold beer for each and every 90 minute period after that.

I'd charge him 150 bucks. Even with a 48" tiller, you should be able to get done in 2 hours.

jb

/ What to charge for tilling?
john, thank you for the reply. That's the same number that stuck in my mind as well.

/ What to charge for tilling? #4  
If you want him to stay a freind, then do it for free, and bring your own cold beer...

Or, Just figure your expenses, then multiply times X (you have to determine but I would say 3 or 4 would be a number to start with) and price that.

Or, call the local car dealer, ask what their service bay charges by hour and charge that out by the hour.

Course, if my buddy did not have plenty of ICE cold one's on hand on the last free job,,, I doubt I would be back for the next one.

Sometimes I find it better to just do freind jobs for free and expect nothing then too get into a mess.

Good luck, hope it works out well for you.

I expected nothing going in the first time, other than a half dozen cold beers. I don't think that's unreasonable at all considering I'm using nearly 50k worth of my own equipment to get myself to his place and do work for nothing.

/ What to charge for tilling? #6  
When I put a lawn in, I tell them that they will get weeds. The next spring they can take care of the weeds with preemergers and the appropriate herbicides. Tell your friend to be patient and take care of the weeds in the spring.

/ What to charge for tilling? #7  
I agree with HTWT, I've been putting in lawns for years and you will "always" get a crop of weeds. Even if you buy the best seed available. The weed seed is in the topsoil and dorment in the soil on the property. Just disturbe some soil and leave it for a week, you'll get a good crop of weeds.

/ What to charge for tilling? #8  
+1 on the weeds
But if the man wants to pay for tilling, let him.
Never argue with the customer. :)

Tilling is HARD on equipment and slow going.
I find I can till about an acre every 2 hours, and I can rip about an acre an hour. We don't till without ripping. Period. It's much too hard on my equipment. these times are with a 5' scarifier and a 5' tiller.

Figure out what you think you should make an hour and multiply
Add in some travel time, and it's usually your minimum charge for a 1/2 acre plot.
There's also time to hook the equipment up (3 point changes, etc).
and maintain it
and grease it
and pay for fuel
and pay for insurance

Yeah, great business. :rolleyes:

Anyway, just tilling it, I would charge at least 200 bucks.
That's a deal, if renting one is 65 bucks, plus going to get it, fueling it and running the thing for HOURS.

I suggested he leave it, believe me. I've done lawns before too. But he sprayed the entire lot already in an attempt to kill it before tilling. Some people just don't listen.

I'll see what he says when he calls back, because I'm not doing it for free again.

/ What to charge for tilling? #10  
Blk88GT said:
I'll see what he says when he calls back, because I'm not doing it for free again.

Darn...you're learning...and I was going to offer you a six pack to help put up 20 acres of hay in small square bales...and you wouldn't even have to use your equipment...:D