Mowing Is 1000 rpm PTO too fast for finish mower?

/ Is 1000 rpm PTO too fast for finish mower? #11  
On my woods L59, there is a sticker that says to always use 1000 RPM PTO speed. To me, that says, to use the 1000 RPM range on the PTO so that the blades will spin at the proper speed.

However, I bought the tractor/mower used & therefore do not have any manuals either.

/ Is 1000 rpm PTO too fast for finish mower? #12  
My Yanmar 226D has a 1000 rpm pto setting as well as 540. I ran my Woods RM59 finish mower at the 1000 rpm setting when I didn't know any different. It cut great until the pulley bearings all burned up. The manual (which I later downloaded) clearly says to only run it at 540 rpm.

Chris Sorensen

/ Is 1000 rpm PTO too fast for finish mower?
Thanks for your input everyone! My Yanmar has the pto lever up for 1000 rpm and down for 540. The Woods mower does not have a gearbox - its the older model with like a 10 inch pully and then a long belt that changes direction thru angle pulleys and then around the three blade pulleys. The bearings have grease fittings which makes me wonder if they are sleeve or ball bearings. I think my main mistake was cutting too short. I think I'll have to raise the deck adjustment wheels (I really mean lower) and cut a little higher to make a better cutting job

/ Is 1000 rpm PTO too fast for finish mower? #14  
Woods has downloadable manuals for most all models free on their website.

Chris Sorensen

/ Is 1000 rpm PTO too fast for finish mower? #15  
Donman said:
Thanks for your input everyone! My Yanmar has the pto lever up for 1000 rpm and down for 540. The Woods mower does not have a gearbox - its the older model with like a 10 inch pully and then a long belt that changes direction thru angle pulleys and then around the three blade pulleys. The bearings have grease fittings which makes me wonder if they are sleeve or ball bearings. I think my main mistake was cutting too short. I think I'll have to raise the deck adjustment wheels (I really mean lower) and cut a little higher to make a better cutting job

I have a 1999 RM360 with the long belt and the large wheel. There are tapered bearings (2 each) in the spindles. Parts are easy to get and repair. Man I can't imagine running mine at 1000 rpm pto speeds.

/ Is 1000 rpm PTO too fast for finish mower?
"Woods has downloadable manuals for most all models free on their website."

Chris Sorensen

Thanks Chris, I downloaded the manual and guess what! It says to run at 800 to 1000 rpm pto speed!

/ Is 1000 rpm PTO too fast for finish mower? #17  
Donman said:
"Woods has downloadable manuals for most all models free on their website."

Chris Sorensen

Thanks Chris, I downloaded the manual and guess what! It says to run at 800 to 1000 rpm pto speed!

I think you have answered your own question then LOL

Our contractor has a flail mower he runs at 1000 RPM, it sounds a bit like a plane taking off when it's running it, nothing like the normal bang bang bang of a tractor ;)

/ Is 1000 rpm PTO too fast for finish mower? #18  
Thanks for the link to the woods manuals. According to the Woods manual, I am supposed to run mine at 1000 RPM PTO speed. The manual specifically calls out the 3 PTO speeds & says to use the 1000 speed.

So, I say... read the manual (online) and see what it tells you. I bet that it's designed for 1000 RPM's, since the mower was probably specifically designed (well - the pullys anyway) for your tractor.

/ Is 1000 rpm PTO too fast for finish mower? #19  
1000 rpm, real interesting. My RM360 states 540. must be a gearing thing.

But ok to do what the manual says in my book.

Rob

/ Is 1000 rpm PTO too fast for finish mower? #20  
RobJ said:
1000 rpm, real interesting. My RM360 states 540. must be a gearing thing.

But ok to do what the manual says in my book.

Rob

It is kind of strange. I would always buy the 540 RPM implement first. Everyone has 540 but very few have 1000 RPM PTO's. If nothjing else, your resale market is much bigger with 540 RPM implements. My old International had 2 PTO shafts. One at 540 and one at 1000 RPM. The 1000 had a completley different spline count. I could put my 540 mower on the 1000 PTO (with an adapter) and run the tractor at half the RPM which was about 750 RPM. That 3 cylinder could easily run my 84" finish mower once the tall grass in spring was cut. The low noise and low fuel consumption was really nice. I miss the old International 454D beast.