Destruction of a new guy, and his tractor

/ Destruction of a new guy, and his tractor #1  

garth466

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 3120
Now that I've got 5.8 hours on the clock (4.1 of which are mine) I'm an expert and can comment in the owning/operating section, right? I'll say first that I'll have a lashing for the salesman that said the huge brush grill was overkill, because I've already bent it. If you're playing with sticks, cover the front. At least that is what I've learned, among a few other things.

The 4-in-1 bucket is the coolest thing in the world. This is the most fun you can have with your clothes on (maybe more since I skipped the other to play on the tractor). I'm ripping and tearing, and of course, I haven't a clue what I'm doing other than I can see the changes I'm making and I'm starting to do it faster. I am beating the **** out of this thing as a favor to a friend and I have none of my own tasks ready to attack.

I've included some pictures, for those that care. I know, I feel like that annoying person at the office with pictures of his new born. I'm sure some of you can relate. I know my wife couldn't give two cents for my excitement which is probably why I'm moving her out right now (in between sessions on the tractor). Yes I have a new mistress, and her name is John Deere 3120. You know, I just thought of a way to get her furniture out of the house easier. Well, maybe not. I'm sure I'll need her signature of approval a few times over the next 90 days.

I'd sure like some hints. That box in back is empty, but haven't lifted the back up more than a few times and now I'm more careful after feeling a little rear lift. Those alders must not weigh much. I'd like to know what is safe for this thing as far as angles go. I know I want a tilt meter because I feel very funny sometimes going side to side. The tires are filled, but I don't know what is unsafe. I've obviously error ed on the side of caution because I haven't had to figure out how to put her back on her wheels (I don't want to either).

I don't know how I got by without a tractor now. I think the idea of a new truck is out of the question for me for a while, but all in all, it seemed like a pretty good trade off. I'm just not sure if the trade off was tractor instead of truck, or tractor instead of wife. Either way, I win. I love winning!

That last picture is of the area that I destroyed. Starting at the back of the house used to be nothing but 20'-30' alders and blackberries. I was hopping off with the chainsaw until I figured out that the 4-in-1 could snap then if small enough and the rest I could usually break by twisting it against the pile. Is this much fun legal?

Attachments

• 1st Day of JD 009.jpg
    1st Day of JD 009.jpg
    733.7 KB · Views: 1,295
  • 1st Day of JD 012.jpg
    1st Day of JD 012.jpg
    792 KB · Views: 1,000
  • 1st Day of JD 013.jpg
    1st Day of JD 013.jpg
    599 KB · Views: 854
  • 1st Day of JD 014.jpg
    1st Day of JD 014.jpg
    572.7 KB · Views: 800
  • 1st Day of JD 015.jpg
    1st Day of JD 015.jpg
    695.6 KB · Views: 784
  • 1st Day of JD 016.jpg
    1st Day of JD 016.jpg
    854.5 KB · Views: 1,070
   / Destruction of a new guy, and his tractor #2  
Garth

Nice photos, looks like you're having a ball, that bucket is a brute. It wouldn't hurt to put some weight on the back, it'll work even better.

Harvey

/ Destruction of a new guy, and his tractor #3  
Looks like you are enjoying yourself!:D :D

/ Destruction of a new guy, and his tractor #4  
garth466:

Nice pictures :D! I agree with Harvey as to adding additonal weight- it will improve stability. You can get a cheap "tilt meter" through West Marine: Home Page. They are called Lev-O-Gage Clinometers. The standard one costs ~$14.00. I attached one to my FEL's verticle post. To be honest I rely on my "pucker meter" :eek: and check my undershorts more than I check the meter. In reality I would probably roll over before I would get a chance to check the meter :rolleyes:. Use your new tractor safely and well (like you are doing :D!) and keep the posts coming. Jay

/ Destruction of a new guy, and his tractor #5  
garth466, from what you have accomplished in only 4 hours, it appears you have become a veteran tractor operator. Good job.

MSWoodlot

/ Destruction of a new guy, and his tractor #6  
Man!!! That looks like a blast!

/ Destruction of a new guy, and his tractor #7  
garth466 said:
. The 4-in-1 bucket is the coolest thing in the world. This is the most fun you can have with your clothes on

Great! Another member for the 4in1 Fan Club. I can see the smile on your face from here!

Attachments

• K4in1.jpg
    K4in1.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 622
   / Destruction of a new guy, and his tractor #8  
Nice tractor and nice pices! Thanks for posting them!!

I'm pretty sure you just raised the loader that high for the pictures. It's a bit high (drop it down a foot or two...or more) for normal operation.

Definitely add weight to that box. I use sand, since that's what was in the box when I bought it (500-600 lbs) and I don't want something permanent (such as cement). Do that soon...I think you'll find the stability is greatly increased and you'll feel more comfortable. When you do fill that box, you don't need to raise it all the way during usage...keep it fairly low too. You can always raise it a bit, if necessary...

The side to side feeling will subside to a degree once you get more hours. Your butt is fairly high off the ground (compared to what you're used to) and even a small depression can feel very uncomfortable. However, there's considerable weight in those tires to prevent rolling over. As long as you do your part (seat belt and ROPS, keep your loads low and USE COMMON SENSE!!!), the tires will do their part.

Have you removed your loader yet? If you plan to mow with this machine, it's a lot nicer with the loader off. When you do remove your loader...here's a hint: Remove it on as level an area as you can. That area should also be in the shade, if possible (leaving it in the sun can cause the hydraulic fluid to expand and make it harder to connect the quick disconnects).

As far as the pics...well, TBN insists on pictures to tell the whole story!

Have fun, and BE SAFE!

/ Destruction of a new guy, and his tractor #9  
That 4 in 1 looks pretty fun. Do they make 'em for a little 2305?

/ Destruction of a new guy, and his tractor #10  
If her pert and perky little rear end is lifting, you may want to add some fluid to her slippers.

Filled rear tires will also make it tons more stable.

jb