ROPS LOOSE ?

/ ROPS LOOSE ? #1  

LOOPHOLE

Silver Member
Tractor
140 Farmall w/belly mower NH 1925 FEL/BH
I have noticed on my ROPS that it bolts together about 1FT above fender and it is loose. In other words the top U of the ROPS will rock back and forth. Does that indicate that there was previously a fold down joint in place and has been removed ? The bolt that runs thru is tight but top half of ROPS is still loose. ??????

/ ROPS LOOSE ? #2  
I don't know. I thought most non-folding ROPS were single piece construction. Have you asked the dealer?

jb

/ ROPS LOOSE ?
Bought used, 1925 NH / Have not spoken to any dealer yet. Guess I could drill holes out where it would be tighter ? U part of ROPS that fits down into main brace must have a larger hole for bolt.

/ ROPS LOOSE ? #4  
I added a ROPS to a B7100 Kubota. It came in several parts. Where two parts fit together, there was a sleeve that fit inside both that had a through bolt to each part. Prior to putting it on the tractor the joint was loose, but the overall fit was such that I had to put some stress on the thing to get it in place and that took of the loose fitting parts.

If the thing telescopes together, the fit is probably the way it should be. If it's a butt joint, there should be a small section of smaller tubing inside both parts. A ROPS doesn't need to be very precise to do it's job, which in my case seems to be putting dents in the garage door trim.

/ ROPS LOOSE ? #5  
Post pics of that setup... Is it possible it was prev-owner modified?
In any case.. if it has play it is of no use as a protective structure!!!

soundguy

LOOPHOLE said:
I have noticed on my ROPS that it bolts together about 1FT above fender and it is loose. In other words the top U of the ROPS will rock back and forth. Does that indicate that there was previously a fold down joint in place and has been removed ? The bolt that runs thru is tight but top half of ROPS is still loose. ??????

/ ROPS LOOSE ? #6  
Soundguy said:
In any case.. if it has play it is of no use as a protective structure!!!
soundguy

I respectfully disagree with that idea. The upper bow could fit loosely over about a foot of the lower one, be through bolted in place, rattle like a loose fender, and still provide plenty of rollover protection. Just being a loose fit doesn't make it weak. You would still need to bend the bow in a lateral rollover for the unit to fail.

The folding unit on my DX29 moves some at the hinge and makes the pins rattle from time to time. I'm not too concerned that it won't do it's job if it needs to.

/ ROPS LOOSE ? #7  
daTeacha said:
I respectfully disagree with that idea. The upper bow could fit loosely over about a foot of the lower one, be through bolted in place, rattle like a loose fender, and still provide plenty of rollover protection. Just being a loose fit doesn't make it weak. You would still need to bend the bow in a lateral rollover for the unit to fail.

The folding unit on my DX29 moves some at the hinge and makes the pins rattle from time to time. I'm not too concerned that it won't do it's job if it needs to.

That was an apples to watermellon comparison. Your example assumes a 1' overlap with the top piece loosly coupled yet backed up.

I'm talking about a flipover unit that has 2 mating flanges like we commonly see on fold down rops. If his rops are REAL loose, more than just some pin slop.. then when he rolls, it's likely that pins and bolts will be called upon to take side loading and shear forces, and not the rops itself... that's not an ideal situation . Rops are emergency last ditch safety devices anyway... start adding in ineficiencies and you start getting into trouble..

Soundguy

/ ROPS LOOSE ? #8  
Hey guys...lets wait until LOOPHOLE posts the pictures and then we'll know for sure...:D ...unless the pictures are BAD...:rolleyes:

/ ROPS LOOSE ? #9  
No argument there...Pictures are worth 1000 words.. as they say.. etc.

soundguy