Case 446 How long will a SCUT last

/ Case 446 How long will a SCUT last
Thanks for the very thoughtful analysis of the differences, blurred as they are, between the various groups SkunkWerX. Based on the criteria you described... with the main tipping point being a 3 point hitch, I would say the 446 (because it does have a 3 Point Hitch 0 category), is tipped into the SCUT category at the entry level rather than leaving it in the Garden tractor group. I know it really makes little difference what category a machine is in as the work that gets done is the real measure but it's been an eye openner and fun discovering such an advanced little machine 30 years old. Oh yes... I have no doubt the BX could pull the 446 around the yard if hooked up back to back but if I would bet if I don't use the 4 wheel drive on the BX the 446 would pull the BX backward. The 446 has better located bigger back wheels than the BX. I have to use 4 wheel drive to get my BX up onto my slippery slopped garage floor whereas the 446 cruises up without a problem.

/ Case 446 How long will a SCUT last #22  
Botabill said:
Thanks for the very thoughtful analysis of the differences, blurred as they are, between the various groups SkunkWerX. Based on the criteria you described... with the main tipping point being a 3 point hitch, I would say the 446 (because it does have a 3 Point Hitch 0 category), is tipped into the SCUT category at the entry level rather than leaving it in the Garden tractor group. I know it really makes little difference what category a machine is in as the work that gets done is the real measure but it's been an eye openner and fun discovering such an advanced little machine 30 years old. Oh yes... I have no doubt the BX could pull the 446 around the yard if hooked up back to back but if I would bet if I don't use the 4 wheel drive on the BX the 446 would pull the BX backward. The 446 has better located bigger back wheels than the BX. I have to use 4 wheel drive to get my BX up onto my slippery slopped garage floor whereas the 446 cruises up without a problem.

It could be something as simple as the Lugs on the tires of the 446 vs. the Turf tires of the BX. Turf tires are made not to damage your lawn, but, you give up traction.
To make a pulling comparison of any machines, from a drawbar HP perspective, one would need the rubber to be identical on both machines.

Note: Case called them Garden Tractors.
Is it true they were built in the 70's and 80's? I was thinking they were a lot older than this?

I just read the what the numbers mean:
444 = 44inch mower, 14hp
446= 44inch mower 16hp
448=44 inch mower 18hp

here is a site with some re-power info on the machine:
Case Garden Tractor - Repower - Ingersoll

Google it, you will find a lot of info, looks like attachements are still out there in the used market.

/ Case 446 How long will a SCUT last #23  
I'm not so sure that a 3pt hitch makes a defining point in scut history.

look at JD L / LA tractors.. Massey harris pony, IH cubs, Allis G and B.. etc.

I'd wager that all of those.. while antiques.. could all fall into the broad SCUT category... no 3pt hitches either.. and all hp's in the single or low double digits. My rider lawnmower has more eng hp than my allis G or my IHcub.. however both of those pull and mow better than the rider mower.

Soundguy

/ Case 446 How long will a SCUT last #24  
I bought a nice running 78 Case 446 with mower and blower for 500 bucks. I bought this because a front blower for my JD 2210 is 3K and a beat-up used PTO was still more. What sold me on these is my neighbor has been kind to us and blew my 300 foot driveway with his and takes 15 minutes with 8 inches on the ground.

Dan

/ Case 446 How long will a SCUT last #25  
Is the Case 446 a SCUT? Well that depends on what Case called it back in the day :D

What differentiates a large L&G tractor from a SCUT?
IMHO,
1) 3PH construction is the main difference.
A SCUT/CUT tractor has it's 3PH powered by a hydraulic piston incased within the tractors rear housing.
An integral part of the machine.

A L&G tractor has it's 3PH powered via lever, cables, electric actuator or hydraulic ram, all external to the tractors rear housing. An add-on accessory.

PTO construction.
1)All SCUT's come with a rear splined PTO. Std eqpt.
2) On L&G tractors, with a very few exceptions, a rear PTO is an add-on option and not all large L&G tractors have this option.

The lines can get blurred as Wheel Horse's D250 could be ordered from the factory with a rear PTO, a BH & FEL. And it's capacities are very similar to that of a BX TLB. But it's 3PH was an external add-on......

re. The Onan was a very good engine. Built to last thousands of hrs. Stout, dependable and powerful, unfortunately it's not made anymore and replacement parts are costly.

I wouldn't hessitate to restore and work it.
And, there are Kawasaki and Honda repower kits available should an Onan kick the bucket and prove to be more costly to rebuild than repower.

/ Case 446 How long will a SCUT last #26  
gsganzer said:
I used to be a member on the Yahoo Case garden tractor group, back when I owned my 446.

That group of folks is a lot like the folks here on TBN. Friendly and someone can always point you to parts, performing repairs, finding implements etc.

I believe there were the 444, 446, 448 and the models with loaders were the 646 and 648.
I made a mistake.My friends case is a 646 with the loader.2 cylinder onan.
ALAN

/ Case 446 How long will a SCUT last #27  
I have a Case 446 with mowing deck and blade attachments. They were originally made by Case then bought our by Ingersoll. My Onan 18hp has given me more than enought power. I switched to the ag tires for better traction (I also have chains). I impressed my neighbors one day by dragging a large tree trunk down our street so I could cut it up at home. But I do have one problem now: the hose (long part# 17734) that supplies the main lift has its threads stripped--not bad considering it was built in 1975.....

/ Case 446 How long will a SCUT last #28  
Tractor4u,

I have owned a 1984 448 (18hp Onan) for years now and have done numerous residential drives (up to 50 per snowfall) with little to no trouble from the tractor itself.

The Implements where always the ones breaking down (keep in mind that this tractor was not built or designed for commercial use as I was doing) Bearings, belts, pulleys, shafts, chains, sprockets etc.

The 18 Hp Onan proved to be very reliable with little trouble (Carb rebuilt a few years ago)

The 2 range tranny was a hydraulic drive and not hydrostatic like most SCUT or CUT tractors of today...very durable and only problem I ever had was that the transaxle oil was contaminated with water and during a cold spell froze solid and would not let the machine move...nothing a magnetic block heater and 1/2 hour could not fix.

The hydraulic pump (believe it or not) could deliver 8gpm allowing you to run a rear hydraulic powered tiller or wood splitter whatever. Most SCUT and CUT tractors today have a split pump dedicating as little as half the flow rated per minute to the hydraulics and the other half to power steering.

Great machine but I have recently (last 2 years) upgraded to a B2920 and have recently sold the case 448.

/ Case 446 How long will a SCUT last #29  
Our 49' Farmall Cub is still going, I highly doubt many of the tractors sold today will even outlast the cub. At 10 HP It must be considered a sub compact. I agree the longevity is proportional to the simplicity.

/ Case 446 How long will a SCUT last #30  
I for sure think I have some antiques that will be operating long after some of these newer machines have been recycled.

soundguy