A Beautiful Day to Rotary Cut

/ A Beautiful Day to Rotary Cut #21  
jbrumberg said:
canoetrpr:
You got me thinking which is usually dangerous :rolleyes:. In the past I would brush the debris off the cowling ports, lift the hood, brush debris off the radiators and then hose the radiators down. Thanks to you I am now thinking that I will brush everything off, then use my "shop vacuum", hose everything down, and then use my air compressor to blow the residual debris and dry everything out. Jay

Are you worried at all about water getting into places it should not? Are you actually talking about opening the hood and hosing the radiator or just on the outside?

/ A Beautiful Day to Rotary Cut #22  
I have found that it is better when you do use a hose, to have the water flow the opposite way the cooling air flows.
David from jax

/ A Beautiful Day to Rotary Cut
To All:

I want to thank you for all of your support :D! I ended up brushing everything I could off, then I "shop vac'd" the cowling grills and radiators , then I used my air compressor to blow out the radiators and the air filter (I inspected the second and it looked in good shape.). My tractor must have blown a hydraulic hose during its dealer setup as there was residual hydraulic fluid residue in the radiator fin vanes etc. I used a garden sprayer with a detergent water mix to wash out everything and I was amazed at the amount of sludge and debris the garden sprayer was able to lift and remove. After all of this I started up the tractor and hosed everything down in both directions. I could only mow another hour today (nonhealth related). The debris buildup on the cowling vent grills were as bad and/or worse than my pictures, but the tractor maintained even operational temperatures throughout the mowing period. I will be carrrying a brush in my tractor toolbox for its utility. I am interested in how the radiators look in tomorrow's early light ;). Jay

Once again to all of you thanks for the support. TBN helped get me through a tough period. Jay :D

/ A Beautiful Day to Rotary Cut #24  
Well, due to my allergies, I wear a painter's respirator when I do my cutting/haying and it's a sinus saver. All I have to do is look at my tractor's radiator screens and I know that I would be breathing in the same stuff my tractor does if not for my mask. My mahindra has a separate radiator screen that catches most of the junk flying around from the bush hog, but a quick burst from my compressor takes care of any escapees that make their way into the radiator itself. I'm all for the old saying, an ounce of prevention...you know...

/ A Beautiful Day to Rotary Cut #25  
I agree it's a good idea to keep an eye on the temp gauge, especially when mowing through dandelion and other floaters.
I got through blowing off the tractor and radiator with my backback blower and was inspecting the outer air cleaner, when inspiration struck! the diameter of the filter fit perfectly on the hose of the blower, let it idle while smacking lightly (remember to close eyes or turn head next time) and the filter is as clean as new.

/ A Beautiful Day to Rotary Cut #26  
jbrumberg said:
To All:

I used my air compressor to blow out the radiators and the air filter (I inspected the second and it looked in good shape

As a general note you should use care when blowing out an air filter. Personally I don't use any compressed air to clean a filter. I knock the filter on the tire go get out the heavy particles. I replace the filter if I have to. People tend to get real close when using compressed air and the high pressure can damage the paper and not know it. Plus you are usually blowing from the outside in, which is the same path as the dirt so you can also force the dirt into the filter.

Good Luck,
Rob

/ A Beautiful Day to Rotary Cut
RobJ:

Thanks for the precautionary reminder :). I actually was following the Owners' Manual recommendations for cleaning the primary air filter and I made sure to limit the air pressure to 30 PSI. I also blew the dust from the inside to the outside. I finished mowing the lower field yesterday; it took around 4 hours total, but I mowed at a pretty slow speed due to the uneven slopes and roughness of the terrain (I missed all the obstructions, and did not scalp an/or "divot" anything). I did have a few new "surprise" woodchuck holes :eek:! I set the RC for ~ 6" and I was pretty happy with the quality of the cut this year. Last year I set the RC at ~8" and mowed too fast. Now I plan to cut back the perimeter vegetation :D. This has been a great week for mowing :D! Thanks for the advise- Jay

/ A Beautiful Day to Rotary Cut #28  
Savagepike said:
Well, due to my allergies, I wear a painter's respirator when I do my cutting/haying and it's a sinus saver. All I have to do is look at my tractor's radiator screens and I know that I would be breathing in the same stuff my tractor does if not for my mask. My mahindra has a separate radiator screen that catches most of the junk flying around from the bush hog, but a quick burst from my compressor takes care of any escapees that make their way into the radiator itself. I'm all for the old saying, an ounce of prevention...you know...

Time for you to get a CAB...:D
It's a nice depreciable item for your tax return...:rolleyes: