Needing skid plate advice

/ Needing skid plate advice #1  

dswinnerjr

Tractor
John Deere 5105
Well, this is my first big expsense to fix my tractor since I have started the mowing business. The other day I was mowing and pulled up a china berry root ball, well the next pass by I went down the low spot and high centered the tractor on the root ball. I lowered the fel and put it in reverse and back out, no problem, right? No!, a few hours later I noticed the steering was acting funny, very jerking when turning, so I got off and saw a lot of hydrualic fluid pouring out of the hyrdualic hoses for the steering cylinder. Limped the tractor back and loaded it up on the trailer and went home for the day.

Well, found out the hose were busted and the oil pan was all bent up. So I have a new pan and hoses waiting for me when I get home tomorrow from the fire station.

So my concern now is building a skid plate or a belly pan that will be heavy enough to protect this expensive invest. I was thinking using about 1/4 plate and having this bolt on the underside of the tractor - by the way this is a JD 5105 2WD. Any suggestions would be appreciated with pictures included if available.

/ Needing skid plate advice #2  
I'd be interested in the same thing for my 3120. I've already had black berries come up and cause some havac. I had to find my first error code and the tractor wouldn't move. Turned out that the vines became tangled in the E-Hydro petals and caused them to both be pushed down at the same time.

I understand the smaller tractors have a protective plate available from Deere. Anyway, I'll be watching this one.

/ Needing skid plate advice #3  
Measure the distance to things to bolt it to. Probably the FEL sub-frame. Have a metal shop bend you up some 1/4 or 3/16 sheet stock with some bent in "U" channels going side to side for strength.

jb

/ Needing skid plate advice #4  
And you might want to cut a hole for access to your drain plug to make changing your engine oil go a little quicker (will save having to remove skidplate). Good luck.

/ Needing skid plate advice
Thank you gentlemen for the responses. I will be measuring things out this weekend and hopefully starting on this by next week, I will keep everyone up to date on this.

/ Needing skid plate advice #7  
The drain valve that Paul is using is excellent, I have one on my eighteen wheeler. For my pickup, I use the EZ change, it more flush to the oil pan, less likely to get snagged. I know you're looking to build a skid plate, but sometimes limbs and things can find their way into the smallest of openings.
EZ CHANGE DRAIN PLUG - 18MM ('02-'07 DODGE)-Dodge Cummins and Ford Power Stroke Diesel Truck Accessories - Geno's Garage

Don't know if they make them threaded for tractor pans, but a friend was telling me either Advanced auto parts, O'Reillys, or Auto Zone was starting to carry them for cars & p/u.

/ Needing skid plate advice #8  
I'd worry about anything that stuck out of the bottom of my oil pan like that, even with a skid pan. I got rid of the dealer installed tranny oil heater after I pulled the cord off and banged up the end of the heater on logs and stumps.

/ Needing skid plate advice #9  
If you're referring to the EZ Change Drain Plug that I linked to, the hose does not stay connected. Looking at the bottom plug, opposite the hose, you will see it is in the open position. The top plug is closed, with the protective cap on it.

While my 4WD p/u is fairly high off the ground, I do go off roading enough for concern. I often glance under my truck for peace of mind, but I always did that. (After traveling some flooded logging trails, and having a sunken branch pop up and rip off your tranny cooling lines in the middle of the woods, you tend to check for gremlins more often ) So far no problems, it really doesn't protrude but a tad more than the stock plug.

/ Needing skid plate advice #10  
When I make skid plates I prefer to weld brackets on the frame or sub frame. Then drill and tap the holes. This will allow you to bolt and un bolt the skid plate and protect the threads of your bolts. I also recommend fresh paint and never seize on all bolted connections. I use to build dune buggies and sand rails.Bolting up through the bottom is the best way to attach a skid plate