Look what I found! (long...but interesting)

/ Look what I found! (long...but interesting) #11  
I think the guy with the big macho JD 5400 is just compensating for something! He is probably really jealous!;)

Seriously, I'd bet that big tractor is too big for that plow and it could potentially tear it up. BTW, I don't think that plow looks too big for your tractor. On the contrary, it looks like a perfect fit. It is just a robust plow and not an el cheapo toy, that's all. Have fun. Now I am jealous.

Hey, I just noticed, now I am a "Veteran Member"!! Makes me feel special!

/ Look what I found! (long...but interesting) #12  
N80 said:
You're right. I just never have my camera with me when I'm on the tractor and usually I'm off alone...so its hard to get the action shots.

I used to have that problem. When up at the weekend place I never know where I'll end up or what I'll be doing or seeing. I bought a little carrying case that I run my belt through and it holds my camera and a couple extra batteries. It really doesn't get in the way unless I lay on my right side. I may take 30-40 pictures a weekend, mostly of nothing but if my wife asks how do her flowers look...I have several shots of the house. :D

Attachments

• DSC00103.JPG
    DSC00103.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 341
   / Look what I found! (long...but interesting) #13  
I have a plow that looks a little like yours, it is a double bottom breaking plow and I pull it with a 1958 dexta, which is about 30hp. Your tractor should have no problem with that plow. Set your plow where the tip is pointing down at a angle and start plowing. Them old plows are made out of tough stuff and it would be hard to break it. I have used mind to pull up stumps and roots all the time. Let your friend use it, I don't think he can do any damage.

/ Look what I found! (long...but interesting) #14  
Yeah, sure would like to see action shots!:D

/ Look what I found! (long...but interesting)
scott_vt said:
On the old Dearborn that Im rebuilding the whole plow frame can be positioned along the drawbar so you can actually change where the moldboards are in relation to the tractor, at least to some degree.

This plow will do that as well. On the first pic you can see that it has a sort of set screw that holds the plow frame in position along its drawbar. There is a fair amount of left to right adjustment. However, these bolts are rusted solid and it screws into a square nut that is held in place by the frame. I am afraid I won't be able to find replacement nuts and bolts for it, so it may end up locked into that postion.

Also there is a width of cut adjustment that moves the tail of the plow fore or aft, so it may take awhile to set it up properly !

This plow will not allow that sort of adjustment. That is one reason I was interested in the Leinbach 2 bottom plow, it allows all of those adjustments. But, no sense buying a new plow when I've got this one for free.

RobJ said:
I bought a little carrying case that I run my belt through and it holds my camera and a couple extra batteries.

Well, that's my problem. You see, I'm what they call a 'serious' photographer. :rolleyes: What that means is that I have this enormous, expensive digital slr with a giant, heavy lens on it. It is so nice, so high tech and so big that it is too much trouble to carry.:D And therefore it is virtually useless for this type of thing....kinda ironic huh?

Fact is, I need a nice compact little digital like yours. It would surely meet 90% of my needs.

Perdido said:
Let your friend use it, I don't think he can do any damage.

Well, it is sort of community property now. My B-I-L didn't actually give it to me, he just said anyone who wants to can use it.

The good thing is that it does have shear bolts behind each one of the shanks that the moldboard is attached to. They look a little too small. However, I hit some rocks, an old stump (which it snatched out of the ground) as well as that real hard clay several times without breaking them. So hopefully if he gets to going along at a good clip in the 65hp tractor and hits a rock that won't move, the shear bolts will keep it from getting too much damage.

However, one of the hitch pins was bent when I found it. Usable, but bent. I'll put a new one in next weekend. On the old middlebuster that I found, one of the hitch pins was bent almost into an L shape.

My B-I-L never used any of this stuff. It all came with a used tractor he bought and has since sold. So who knows who bent the hitch pins up and how. He also has a very hefty subsoiler that came with this stuff, but he uses it to run pipe to his cisterns, etc.

/ Look what I found! (long...but interesting) #18  
Well I tried the in pocket camera. This little Sony Cyber-shotU is pretty small but isn't comfy in the front pocket....for obvious reasons. :D

The Canon A530 is the best Sub $150 camera I own. I think they are even cheaper now. All of mine (except the sony which are left over from another company) use the SD cards. A lot of computers have a built in SD reader these days. I also went to rechargeable batteries. Some of these cameras (especially the Kodaks I have) love to eat batteries.

Attachments

• DSC00106.JPG
    DSC00106.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 244
   / Look what I found! (long...but interesting) #19  
Check the stores for bolts. Chances are you will find what you need. Square nuts were once very common but the new replacements are better.:D

Egon said:
Check the stores for bolts. Chances are you will find what you need. Square nuts were once very common but the new replacements are better.:D

The nut needs to be square because it is held in place by framing around it. So not only will it need to be square, it will need to fit in the recess that was made for it.

Someone mentioned a company named J Bar and after doing a lot of searching I found a small company in Georgia called J Bar Manufacturing. Their logo looks like what is left of the sticker on this plow. They make a few different implements but the only plow they make now is a single bottom. The stuff they make looks very much like all the other lower end stuff you see in tractor chain stores. However, the single bottom plow has the same configuration for adjusting the plow side-to-side on its drawbar, so I'm hoping the screw mechanism for it is the same as for this old two bottom.

I've emailed them and am waiting to hear from them.