Look what I found! (long...but interesting)

/ Look what I found! (long...but interesting) #1  

N80

Tractor
Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL
A few weeks ago I posted about how my box blade was no longer working to 'till' for my little food plots. At that time my B-I-L had told me he had a 'plow' and I was thrilled to find a very rusty, beat up, but very beefy middlebuster in one of his many junk piles. Well I was back down at my place (next to his farm) and I was showing him the middlebuster since he hadn't seen it since I extracted it from the junk heap. I told him it worked great but that what I really needed was a real plow. "What do you mean by a 'real' plow?" he asked. So I described a moldboard plow and he says,"oh, you mean a turning plow; I think I've got one of those too." And he directed to to a completely different junk pile.

Once I got the briars, barbed wire and old truck parts cleared out I was very happy to find this:

dsc3697ri2.jpg

I don't think it is anything great but it is all in one piece. In fact, it looks similar, but not identical to, the cheap KK and Howse type stuff you see around. There are some remnants of a decal that was on it and I'm wondering if anyone might know what brand it was. Here is a closeup:

dsc3690jl2.jpg

The back of the moldboard also has this stamped in it. I can't make out the image or any of the letters, but does anyone recognize this stamp?:

dsc3699rq4.jpg

Here's the fun part of the story. There's this guy who hunts on my B-I-L's property who bought this Korean version of the JD 5400 and a bunch of implements to do food plots and to plant a dove field. Well, it didn't take him long to realize that even his heavy duty disk and 65 hp ag tractor didn't do much but scratch our dense dry dirt. So he's interested in the plow too. Now, he's been around tractors a good bit but this is his first one and like me he's learning as he goes. And he's very proud of his big tractor. When I mentioned the plow to him, he says how great it is that my B-I-L is going to let us use it and I agreed. Then he looks at me kind of funny and tells me that my little tractor won't be able to pull that huge plow. I've only been doing this tractor stuff for 2 years and I've only been using a plow for...well, never, so even though I doubted him I certainly wasn't sure enough to disagree. I knew the plow had Cat I hitch pins, and I was able to wrestle it out of the junk heap and so I know it weighed less than my boxblade. But I agreed that the moldboards did look huge but that I'd give it a try and see how it did. This guy is a real nice guy but he and his buddy kind of laughed. They drove up later while I was hooking it up and had another good little chuckle about how it looked way too big for my little Jap tractor. I told them I was just going to try it out and began to wonder myself.

Now, my tractor is a Kubota L4400 which is 45hp and has 4wd . But it is still very light, I'm guessing about 5000 pounds with loaded tires and FEL. And I know nothing about plowing and our 'soil' is terrible, rocky clay. There were some hard areas in my plots that had maybe 4-5 inches of topsoil under which was hard pan that the middlebuster would not go through. It didn't slow down the tractor, it just wouldn't bite and would ride up over it. So I'm thinking I may not be able to pull this plow at all. Here it is all hooked up:

dsc3703cf1.jpg

So, I head down to where one of my plots is. It has already been planted and the greens and oats are just starting to come up. So I drop the plow, put it in first gear/lo range and start off in dirt that hasn't been plowed in 75 years (it had trees on it up until 2 years ago) and the tractor is doing just fine. I switch to 2/lo, no problem and in some places 3/lo. At this point I'm very proud of my little tractor (and not quite as impressed with the guy's tractor knowledge). As I'm headed back to the barn my B-I-L comes by on the road. He stops and looks at the plow on my tractor and comments that it looks too big for my tractor. Apparently he also thought my tractor was too small. In any case, it was my turn to laugh now. :D

Now, after plowing new ground for about 45 minutes it became clear to me what others (particularly Farmwithjunk) have said about pulling a plow. Set up is everything. It took a good many trips up and down from the tractor to tweak the top link adjustment to get the front and the back to engage completely. There were still times that the rear moldboard did not engage as well as the front. It was also important to always have one side (the same side!) of the tractor in a furrow. I am also certain that I will need to adjust the lower lift arm height as well in order for it to plow perfectly. The plow will also adjust left-to-right on its frame but the bolts are rusted and frozen and I'm not sure I'll be able to find replacements. But that's for another post.

There were still sections of hardpan that the plow would ride up over. But at other times it would catch and break it up. It would give the tractor a bit of a lurch and require a little more throttle but it kept on going.

I also still had some trouble where if the sod and grass was too thick it would bunch up between the two moldboards and kind of bulldoze along. I guess colters would help with that?

In any case, it was fun. I'm learning a lot. The plow was free and my B-I-L doesn't care if we tear it up. He was pleased that one of his junk piles was a little smaller and he says we can continue to use it as long as we promise not to bring it back. :D I am a bit worried that the other guy is going to tear it up with his 65hp ag tractor. The thing it looks big and hefty but I suspect that plow is 1) cheap 2) old and rusty 3) made for a 30-40 hp tractor. We will see.

/ Look what I found! (long...but interesting) #2  
Nice looking plow.:D

I'm guessing your tractor could easily pull three 14 inch bottoms and may attempt four in cultivated soil.:D

Interesting comment about the disk!:D

If you are having trouble turning sod it's because your mould board is not designed for sod. Colters would also help.

Now for a picture with all the ground engaging parts nice and shinny??:D :D

/ Look what I found! (long...but interesting) #3  
That plow would look at home behind an 8N, or early 100 series Ford tractor.

Tell the guy with the 65 hp macho machine it works just fine. But DON'T tell him how to adjust it! Then it's time for you to laugh!

jb

/ Look what I found! (long...but interesting)
Egon said:
If you are having trouble turning sod it's because your mould board is not designed for sod. Colters would also help.

Now for a picture with all the ground engaging parts nice and shinny??:D :D

It is shinier now, but since all my food plots are in, it won't get used again until its time for summer plots next spring. I am thinking about rebuilding the plow and replacing all the rusty bolts and the side-to-side adjustment bolts but I need to find out more about the plow before I do that. But, I may even paint it, the frame anyway.

john_bud said:
That plow would look at home behind an 8N, or early 100 series Ford tractor.

That's pretty much what I thought too, but I don't know enough about this stuff to say so at the time.

Tell the guy with the 65 hp macho machine it works just fine. But DON'T tell him how to adjust it! Then it's time for you to laugh!

jb

Well, my biggest concern is that he's going to tear it up. His hitch is cat II, and he's going to be going at some pasture that hasn't been plowed in many many years.

/ Look what I found! (long...but interesting) #6  
that looks a lot like my plow that i pull with a ford 1710 4WD. it doesn't pull real smooth in sod but it works. mine has the brand name J-Bar on it and ford bottoms fit perfectly. i bought it used about 16 years ago. i use it for maybe 2 days a year when i turn in my garden for the year.

/ Look what I found! (long...but interesting) #7  
Man we missed the best pictures!!! The ones of the plow in action! As far as working it...it if ain't broke...you know the rest. :D

Nice Score BTW.

/ Look what I found! (long...but interesting) #8  
Quick hint for plow care from my old days working on the farm.... Paint the moldboards when you put it away for the season. When you go to plow next year, the paint will come right off when you stick it in the ground and it will start turning soil right away. If you leave them alone and let them rust over, the rust takes longer to clear off and start rolling the ground good.:)

RobJ said:
Man we missed the best pictures!!! The ones of the plow in action! As far as working it...it if ain't broke...you know the rest. :D

Nice Score BTW.

You're right. I just never have my camera with me when I'm on the tractor and usually I'm off alone...so its hard to get the action shots.

/ Look what I found! (long...but interesting) #10  
Mornin George,
Thats a pretty stout lookin plow there ! Id say you done good ! ;) Looks to me that there arent much in the way of adjustments other that the top link, once youve got that down your about ready to plow. On the old Dearborn that Im rebuilding the whole plow frame can be positioned along the drawbar so you can actually change where the moldboards are in relation to the tractor, at least to some degree. Also there is a width of cut adjustment that moves the tail of the plow fore or aft, so it may take awhile to set it up properly ! I just bought a manual to help me in setting it up properly. Im glad to see your tractor pulled it no problem, I have about the same weight as you, not quite as much HP but I do have the weight so we shall see ! Thanks for the pics !