How many extra Hydraulic Remotes do I need?

/ How many extra Hydraulic Remotes do I need? #1  

markmc

Tractor
John Deere 4320
I have ordered my 4320 with only one rear remote for future use. I have purchased a cutter, BB and a PHD.

My questions are:
1) Do most "top and tilt" addons for use with a BB use one or two remotes?

2) What other "normal" implements would use MORE than one rear remote? Backhoe?

3) If I wanted to install grapple jaws on the FEL would I plumb this to the rear remote?

4) If not would I need to have a front remote installed and is this done by the factory? (just ordered so I have time to change things)

Sorry for being so "green", us city slickers have much to learn:) Thanks for your help guys!
Mark

/ How many extra Hydraulic Remotes do I need? #2  
SIR,
you would need a spool valve to operate the top,& tilt.
this would be at least a two valve. one for top, and one
for tilt. this would be powered by one remote, but would
have a return line. the way i understand the operation,
is the hydraulic fluid is in constant movement through the
valve, then when you need to make an adjustment, you move
the lever, and the fluid is directed to the proper cylinder.
the more remotes the better.
accordoionman
wlbrown

/ How many extra Hydraulic Remotes do I need? #3  
Order the diverter valve option for your tractor. It will give you two remotes for your top/tilt which will operate your top/side cylinders and you won't need an extra spool, those remotes operate using your joystick loader valve when an electric switch is depressed. The third remote is probably all you need for most likely uses (PHD). Not that many 3pt implements use will use a third remote. I believe you can get hoses that will allow you to use the third remtoe for front mounted implement use. Together, the 3 rear remotes (3rd remote + diverter valve) should be all you will ever need. If you don't use top/tilt, all 3 are available for other uses. Backhoes and log splitters usually have their own spools which operate by means of the power beyond option. If you don't have power beyond, you can either order that too or you can wait until you need it. It is not difficult to install but is an extra hose loop hanging off the back end that I keep an eye on every time I operate the rockshaft to ensure that nothing snags on it. You might want to wait until you have a need and add that option when you need it.

/ How many extra Hydraulic Remotes do I need? #4  
I recently added two rear remotes to my JD4100. The dealer added the power beyond port and hoses, then used that to feed the two spool valve. I currently run a hydraulic top cylinder and plan to add a side cylinder in the near future. I probably could have saved some cash if the tractor had been ordered with a factory set up, but it was an in stock unit and I got a fair deal at the time.

If you want to add a grapple in the future, or a 4 in 1 bucket, an electric diverter valve might be a good deal.

/ How many extra Hydraulic Remotes do I need? #5  
I've plumbed 2 extra bidirectional circuits from the loader connectors to the rear of my tractor for use with hay equipment. Generally you need an up/down and left/right for hay, snow and rotary actuator machinery. Great if you can order when new, but in case you already have a tractor and a loader, just add some hoses to the back.

/ How many extra Hydraulic Remotes do I need? #6  
I have 3 remotes on my Kubota. Right now 1 operates the grapple, 1 the top link (don't have side link installed), the 3rd controls the shift on the Caroni flail mower. If I pick up the tree shear that needs 2 circuits to operate - disconnect the flail mower.

Vernon

/ How many extra Hydraulic Remotes do I need? #7  
I saw a huge New Holland tractor that had NINE rear remotes!! I think that's probably about how many you need.

Seriously, you would probably not use more than two. But when I got my tractor it had two rear remotes on it. After getting a lot of feedback here on TBN I decided to get all three rear remotes available put in. I figured it would be cheaper, easier, and more cost effective to do it at the beginning instead of later trying to have it retrofitted. Will I ever use all three simultaneously? Who knows? But I WOULD love to have a box blade with hydraulic scarifiers and a top-n-tilt!! If I ever get that set-up I'll be ready! The other thing that I would someday like to have is a 15' batwing mower. Then I could use one remote to raise and lower the mower deck and one remote to raise each wing.

I have my grapple working via a front "3rd Function" remote.

/ How many extra Hydraulic Remotes do I need?
Thank you fellas. I will need to sit down and try to decipher all this good info but for now it seems I cant change my tractor order anyway so it will all have to be retrofitted. I only ordered the one rear remote but I am very interested in putting grapple jaws onto my bucket. Is there any reason I cannot just use long hoses and connect the grapple cylinders to the rear remote?

Mark

/ How many extra Hydraulic Remotes do I need? #9  
That would work fine.

/ How many extra Hydraulic Remotes do I need? #10  
One is OK, but 2 is much more useful. While backhoes can be run off rear remotes, they are usually plumbed in as power beyone.

Andy