Oil & Fuel Tell diesel and gas apart ?

/ Tell diesel and gas apart ? #11  
I just saw this thread post and it had the highest ratio I've ever seen of replies:views being 8:9. I was the guy that viewed and didn't reply, so I thought I'd open it back up and keep it batting 1.000.

So that my comments above are not the ONLY thing I've added to this thread, I've heard that gasoline will also put out a match if there are no vapors above the liquid. It's the vapors that are flamable. Keep in mind while I'm aware of this tid bit of info, I'm not expactly planning a demo any time soon. :eek:

Edit: Of course by the time I could type that the ratio chaged to 10:53 :) Still pretty high. My first thread was about 3:87 and I was all three replies! :)

/ Tell diesel and gas apart ? #12  
You should be able to feel diesel since it is much slippery (lower on the cracking tower) than gas. As I think about it diesel is different in every way: taste, smell, feel, sight and sound (it doesn't explode and make a crater).

jmf

/ Tell diesel and gas apart ? #13  
The old "yellow jug" comment sounds great...given that you can find the @##%$ $$%%#@# yellow jugs!

My diesel jugs are red with DIESEL written in 4 inch tall letters.

Don't use them much, though. Most of my diesel comes out of my farm tank.

/ Tell diesel and gas apart ? #14  
Assuming you drive a gas powered car or truck open the gas cap and put your nose to the opening and compare to your favorite colored can if they smell the same it is probably gas if not it is probably Diesel. After this test you are on your own .

/ Tell diesel and gas apart ? #15  
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but isn't gas heavier than diesel and should float on top of gasoline. So....if you poured some from can "A" into a glass jar then added some from can "B" to the jar, the one that floats is diesel.

The other positive way to tell which is which is to use a sample,,,of each,,, on bees to see which one kills like,,,,,um crap,,,then you will know which one is gas.

RavensRoost

/ Tell diesel and gas apart ? #16  
Here u go do a science experiment.

Take 2 jars, say 4 oz each ( baby food jar works) and pour the liquid from each container in each jar, equal amount. Take a birthday candle and place it 6" from each jar. The jar that ignites is the gasoline. Why, flammable vapours are given off from gasoline since its flash point is - 40 F, diesel has a flash point in the 120F range. The gasoline flammable vapours will boiler over the top of the jar, travel along the ground and ignite on the candle, and flash back and ignite the gasoline in the jar.

/ Tell diesel and gas apart ? #17  
Sniff your car's gas tank opening. Then each can. If you have any sense of smell it should be very easy to tell them apart. I can tell them apart with just a quick look into a can without any smell since the gas is much clearer.

Andy

/ Tell diesel and gas apart ? #18  
RavensRoost said:
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but isn't gas heavier than diesel and should float on top of gasoline. So....if you poured some from can "A" into a glass jar then added some from can "B" to the jar, the one that floats is diesel.

The other positive way to tell which is which is to use a sample,,,of each,,, on bees to see which one kills like,,,,,um crap,,,then you will know which one is gas.

RavensRoost

I got it backwards: diesel has a higher SG than does gasoline. The,,,um,,,bee test is still valid,,,however.

RavensRoost

/ Tell diesel and gas apart ? #19  
Rub some between your fingers and the diesel
will feel slicker.

Last edited:
   / Tell diesel and gas apart ? #20  
I guess everyone's already given just about all the advice capable of being given. That is, except send it off to a lab and have it tested. But I need to point out something that may seem too obvious. If you're talking about off-road (farm) No. 2 diesel then it should be dyed red. It's actually more pink, but us manly men can't be seen playing with pink things. Now if you're talking about standard No. 1 diesel then refer to the above 17 replies.