Oil & Fuel Tell diesel and gas apart ?

/ Tell diesel and gas apart ? #81  
Some is personality, too, I think. Our miniature donkey gives way to some sheep, but pushes others around. The mother of the donkey, on the other hand, pushes everyone around.

/ Tell diesel and gas apart ? #82  
I found a quick and easy test. Take a paper towel, tear it in half, dip a section of the first one in your suspect fuel and place on cement or your in your front end loader, light it. Be careful, you may have gas and that one will light with a whoosh from the fumes collecting around the paper towel. If it is gas, it will burn fast and leave a little ash but not much oily residue. If it is diesel, you will need to hold the flame to the paper towel. It burns much longer and leaves an oily stain that takes a long time to disappear. It was still there a half hour after the test whereas the gas stain had evaporated. Repeat the test with your known fuel and compare the results. You'll have your answer in just a couple of minutes and you won't leave a crater anywhere.

/ Tell diesel and gas apart ? #83  
I just saw this thread post and it had the highest ratio I've ever seen of replies:views being 8:9. I was the guy that viewed and didn't reply, so I thought I'd open it back up and keep it batting 1.000.

So that my comments above are not the ONLY thing I've added to this thread, I've heard that gasoline will also put out a match if there are no vapors above the liquid. It's the vapors that are flamable. Keep in mind while I'm aware of this tid bit of info, I'm not expactly planning a demo any time soon. :eek:

Edit: Of course by the time I could type that the ratio chaged to 10:53 :) Still pretty high. My first thread was about 3:87 and I was all three replies! :)

WHen I was young and dumb I actually tried to prove that a match couldn't be put out by dropping it into gas but it can actually be done. Its not a recommended experiment as in most cases you end up singing your eyebrows off:eek: till you figure out the exact state the fuel needs to be in and the speed at which the match needs to enter the fuel before its possible.
A good hint would be old fuel that hasn't been stirred or moved for some time is best for this experiment!

/ Tell diesel and gas apart ? #84  
Scratch all this, sell your diesel and get an electric tractor. Then all you have to worry about is changing the batteries after a short time. Sell both fuel jugs to a diesel tractor owner and let him or her figure it out. Use the money to buy a battery charger.

If nothing else, the tractor will be quieter than it was.

/ Tell diesel and gas apart ? #85  
While having a few yellow designated jugs, I have put the G, D, 2 on them in case some other family member thinks they need to fuel something & they have been shown the difference.

Ronnie