Spreading gravel.

/ Spreading gravel. #1  

EdKing

Platinum Member
Tractor
Long/Landtrac360DTC
Hello,
I plan on getting a load or two of gravel delieverd so I can fix the driveway to my barn. I have a FEL,
a rear blade, a boxblade, and a homemade chainlink fence harrow. I was wondering on which implement and what techniques work best to spread the gravel on the drive.

Thanks in advance,

Ed King

/ Spreading gravel. #2  
I have good luck with the boxblade, then using the fel for the smoothing finish.

/ Spreading gravel. #3  
EdKing, this may not apply to your situation. My gravel hauler can spread his load as he dumps over 50 to 200'. It's an all or nothing deal and depends on the size of the dump truck and the length of the drive. I'll have one load spread and the 2nd one dumped in a pile. I don't know though, could be less tractor-time /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Spreading gravel. #4  
Ask the driver to tail gate spread it.
If your going to have the 2 loads dump,than try useing the fel to rought it out follow by the box rear blade,than the finishing touches w/the chainlink fence.
If you got the time practice w/all of the attachments.

/ Spreading gravel.
wichiwichi, do you run the box blade up a little to let the gravel trickle out the back ? Then float the FEL for smoothing ?

Rch <font color=blue>I don't know though, could be less tractor-time </font color=blue>/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
I kinda thought the same thing. I'm not sure how much gravel I'll need, and I kinda like the idea of spreading it out my self.

Thomas <font color=blue>If you got the time practice w/all of the attachments. </font color=blue>
I've got the time right now, as it is not a pressing project. Also if I have it dumped in a pile I can use the excess for a few other projects.

I'm new to the boxblade, mine has a fixed back. What is the easiest way to get it to spread evenly ?

Thanks for the replies,

Ed King

/ Spreading gravel. #6  
Ed, While I'm typically loathe to pass up an opportunity to use every implement I have, for spreading gravel in my driveway (an annual task for me) I simply fill the FEL and dump it as I drive backwards. By the end of my first load of gravel I had the heel and wrist action down so I could drive backwards quickly (in M range) and curl the bucket down leaving a perfect inch deep layer of gravel. Didn't have a bit of smoothing to do when I was done!

Pete

/ Spreading gravel.
Pete, That's what I was thinking, but I'm still a newbie with the FEL (although I'm getting pretty good with the backhoe). I figured to try it that way, but I'm sure I'll need to spread it out to even it up. Until I get the hang of it, I'll be leaving different size piles up and down the drive.

Ed King

/ Spreading gravel. #8  
I spread gravel 3-4 trucks twice a year and it sure is a lot easer if the driver tailgates it just my opinion

/ Spreading gravel. #9  
have the driver tailgate it, u can always smothe it out after he is done. those drivers are pretty good.

/ Spreading gravel.
Well, it seems the general concensus is to have the driver tailgate it.
Thanks every one for the replies,

Ed King