hills and dales... the fun i get to work on.

/ hills and dales... the fun i get to work on. #1  

Kendrick

Gold Member
Tractor
DK45S(Cab)
These pictures are in succession.

Looking to the right....

Looking back from the lowpoint in the prevous picture to where i took the prevous picture from

Looking from the lowpoint to the first picture

looking from the lowpoint to the entrance of the property. Rutts any one? Aggs with 1 pass both direction ;) it was a bet wet but i dont know how much drier it will get.. the grass is thick enough to hold most moisture

Looking back towards the lowpoint from the middle of the grassy parts

The choke point. the only tractor safe entry to the prevous pictures and the 4+ acres of pasture land beyond that I have yet to brave. some pucker power just passing near where i was standing on a tractor :/

my drive way, looking towards front with dish on right

Looking back up to prevous picture/dish that is about 1/3 of my drive way.

Getting a better view of the driveway slope

I havent goten a pic of the nasty lil hill... last pic from the bush to the top of the hill in about 15 ish feet about 1 trucks height in the length of a truck & 1/2 maybe less...

I am guessing about 3-4 acres of mowable 3-4 of hill on up behind the house then about 4-6 of pasture land on a moderate to steep grade i think i can get the tractor back there wo to much trouble IF i can get it to dry enough first. plenty of tiling to do there. 8 acres of flat hay land across the creek that is mine as well.

/ hills and dales... the fun i get to work on.
I have been thinking and probably about the only way to use the mower on this is to be backing up the hill for nearly the whole property :/

Any thoughts on the pucker factor would be appriciated. the 5th picture shows the other place that would have been good to bring the tractor over except for the green stack coming off our ceptic system :/

/ hills and dales... the fun i get to work on. #3  
Hi Kendrick. It is really hard to tell how steep ground is from pictures, but much of what you show doesn't look to be so steep to just mow across the side hill. One thing you could do is hire out the job, one time, to a neighbor with similar ground or a professional, and watch what they do.

Steve

/ hills and dales... the fun i get to work on. #4  
You could get some idea of the slope that we can "see" better with a 2x4, level, and tape measure. Find a typical part of the hill, set the end of the 2x4 on the uphill section, point it straight downhill, lift the bottom 'til level, then measure to the ground from the bottom. Put the drop over the length for a rise over run measure, like on a roof. Pole barns are 4/12 usually, which is about a 33% grade. Let us know how it measures up and we can give you a better idea of what is actually unsafe and what just feels like it is because the seat is so high off the ground on the tractor.

My ground is pretty close to 4/12, some steeper, some less. I can go pretty much all over it, but with a heavy load in the bucket there are places and approaches I avoid. With a MMM or other mower and weighted wheels or tires along with no FEL or an empty and low carried bucket, you should be able to run around on a 4/12 slope without too much concern, except for groundhog holes, hidden logs, big rocks, etc.