My oh my the things you find on 25 acres left untouched for many years...

/ My oh my the things you find on 25 acres left untouched for many years... #1  

dieselfuelonly

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM1401D
The story goes the land behind my house is about 25 acres that was at one time a horse farm, owned by a man with about 80 horses.

The man has long since passed away and the land is owned by two sons who apparently don't get along and so they probably won't agree on what to do with the land. I hope that it stays... land, and doesn't become a development.

Anyway, after walking back there clearning out the path that the previous owners of this house that I live in now made for their horses...

This weekend I plan to drive the whole trail on my tractor, hopefully I can do it without getting stuck, the only place that I will need to be easy is a small drainage ditch that is very very dry at the moment.

I would like to bush hog the path, but since I don't own the land, I probably won't.

Anyway, I walked with the horses back to the powerline trail, and when I got back I cleared out the area right behind our property which there was a gate that allowed access to the area. There is a really big rock there. I mean GIGANTIC.

I drove my tractor on it :D.

Anyway, enjoy the pictures, you never know what you will find back in the woods...

P1010110-1.jpg

P1010111-3.jpg

P1010112-3.jpg

P1010114-3.jpg

P1010115-2.jpg

P1010116-1.jpg

P1010117-1.jpg

P1010118-1.jpg

P1010119-1.jpg

P1010120-1.jpg

P1010121.jpg

P1010122.jpg

P1010123.jpg

P1010124.jpg

P1010125-1.jpg

P1010126-1.jpg

P1010127.jpg

/ My oh my the things you find on 25 acres left untouched for many years... #2  
Sweet pictures! Nice looking property there too!

/ My oh my the things you find on 25 acres left untouched for many years... #3  
Gorgeous buildings / barns.

Thank you for sharing.

/ My oh my the things you find on 25 acres left untouched for many years...
Yeah, I sure wish they were mine!!

But it is really cool knowing that all of that is just a walk back in the woods.

/ My oh my the things you find on 25 acres left untouched for many years... #5  
Sure hope somebody who cares buys that place. I would love to have the buildings pictured. The first building looks like something a pioneer put up. would be a shame to see them razed or neglected to the point of no return.

/ My oh my the things you find on 25 acres left untouched for many years... #6  
Had a great uncle that Dad said all he ever wanted was the land adjoining his......then he'd buy it and all he ever wanted was the land adjoining ....ended up with several hundreds of acres before he died. Years ago when I was living on 5 ac. and payday to payday - the 5ac next to me came up on a repo sale. I had to cash in an old life insurance policy to get it - but it was one of my better decisions. Is this land adjoining yours? Can you buy it? Best way to keep someone from doing what you don't want with a piece of land is to own it yerself.

/ My oh my the things you find on 25 acres left untouched for many years...
I don't know if they would be willing to sell it or not, I sure would like to own some of it though...

I think it is about 25 acres, it runs back to the powerlines pictures, probably further back, not sure how far to the side, and man it sure is neat.

Here is the Google map of my property and the area behind it... its a bit old, but nothing has really changed...

Google Maps

My property is the quarter-circle shaped area (outlined by the tall pine trees) along the corner of Hatch Road. The buildings behind in the woods are the barn and the old log building in the pictures.

I'll take some video/pictures of driving my tractor back to the powerlines this weekend... it should be fun. I need to build a little trailer so that I can get some firewood from back in that area.

/ My oh my the things you find on 25 acres left untouched for many years... #9  
I would also be interested in the site near the corner of the powerlines and Hatch Road, as some sort of tree appears to have been planted or grown in a circle. My thoughts are that might be an old homesite that has grown over.
A 30 acre piece in front of a 40 acre piece across the street from me had enough traffic that the owner disliked. He started making regular trips to visit it until he determined a pattern for when people were tresspassing. He came up on it one day, and called the police, then engaged the violators in conversation until the police arrived. They were arrested and a court battle ensued for their parents to pay for all of the damage to the woods that their vehicles and others had caused to the woodlands that he made his living with. The amount of damages the parents ended up paying is staggering.
I try to warn most of the people I see entering it, but some folks just don't listen.
David from jax

/ My oh my the things you find on 25 acres left untouched for many years... #10  
My first thought was also about the fact that you were trespassing. I guess it depends on where you are, but most folks are not too happy about people being on their land. Around here, the big reasons are liability for accidents and vandalism. In Michigan, most people didn't care too much. There were 1200 vacant acres across the street from me that were hunted hard by all kinds of folks during deer season. The owner didn't care a bit.