How much tilt is too much?

/ How much tilt is too much? #31  
I routinely mow stuff like that from the looks of the first picture, but pictures are deceiving. I have pictures of some of my slopes that look to be not very steep, but when you see the slope in person, it is uncomortable to try to hike up it.

I have to ask, as I do not have a tilt meter, but does it read the same if it is mounted vertically or angled back a bit, as it appears to be in the second and third pictures?

/ How much tilt is too much? #32  
MossRoad said:
I have to ask, as I do not have a tilt meter, but does it read the same if it is mounted vertically or angled back a bit, as it appears to be in the second and third pictures?

That's a good question, I don't have a technical answer. Technically though, I suppose it would have to alter the accuracy of the meter somewhat. Somone posted that using the picture as a guide along with the plumb bob angle, it appeared that the tractor is only at a 20 degree angle when the gauge is reading considerably higher than that. My gauge is tilted for visibility. The meter was originally installed for my wife while I was in Iraq. I told her to not exceed 15 degrees as a safety net for her. Now that I'm home and used to the tractor, the only time I pay much attention to it is when the ball disappears. :eek:

Pictures flatten out slopes. Pictures also distort angles. I've got hundreds of Jeepin pictures where I am on the verge of tipping over but they appear to be no big deal. If this site allowed, I would post a video of my Jeep stepping up on a rock ledge about 30 inches high. When the front wheels go up on the ledge they come off the ground about a foot and slowly drop back down. Not because of the height of the ledge or because of hitting it hard, but simply because of the extreme uphill angle of the approach. In the video it's hard to understand why they lifted in the first place because it appears to be relatively flat terrain.

One more thing I would add. As a Jeeper, I am always looking at the landing zone. If I tip over, how many times am I going to roll? What am I going to land on? Am I going to flop completely over and land on my wheels or am I going to be wedged into a ravine on my top? I do the same thing with my tractor. In my pictures, if I did flop on my side I wouldn't fall very far and would end up laying on my side and could easily be tipped back on my wheels. If that road bank were thirty feet high and tipping would result in a multiple rollover all the way to the bottom I probably would mow vertically up and down.

Again, listen to your personal instincts when doing anything on a slope with any equipment. :)

/ How much tilt is too much? #33  
MossRoad said:

No, it won't. Just take it to the extreme to see why. If it was tilted all the way down so it was laying flat, then the slightest angle would result in the meter being pegged. For this application though, accuracy isn't that important, just repeatability.

/ How much tilt is too much? #34  
ovrszd said:
The meter was originally installed for my wife while I was in Iraq.
Saftey tips from a guy who made a living having crazy people shoot at him? :confused:
Seriously thanks for your service and I'm sure everyone here is glad your back safe and that calibrating a tilt meter is your most pressing task.