How much tilt is too much?

/ How much tilt is too much? #1  

rooftrussman

Tractor
Ford 1210 (1986)
Back with another question. I've been reading about tilt meters. I've thought about getting one but don't do much that tilts too much too often but sometimes it crosses my mind seeing as how my Ford 1210 doesn't have a ROPS. Is there a standard limit for tractors? I have an FEL and 754 backhoe attached. I expect they make a difference. Do the tilt meters cover both side to side and front to back. The FEL and hoe probably help front to back but not much side to side. I'd hate to find out the hard way. I read about 45 degree hills but can't imagine I would ever even get close to that.

/ How much tilt is too much? #2  
rooftrussman said:
Back with another question. I've been reading about tilt meters. I've thought about getting one but don't do much that tilts too much too often but sometimes it crosses my mind seeing as how my Ford 1210 doesn't have a ROPS. Is there a standard limit for tractors? I have an FEL and 754 backhoe attached. I expect they make a difference. Do the tilt meters cover both side to side and front to back. The FEL and hoe probably help front to back but not much side to side. I'd hate to find out the hard way. I read about 45 degree hills but can't imagine I would ever even get close to that.

There is no definite angle of slope you can operate on. The CUTs are tested to an ANSI spec at 20 degrees static (no movement). A FEL and Backhoe would raise your center of gravity so that 20 degrees would be decreased.
The tiltmeters are undirectional, so you'd need two. One for side to side and fore/aft. They're really good as an indicator is the slope is gradually increasing

/ How much tilt is too much? #3  
I start to "pucker" around 15 degrees :eek:. You can purchase a standard Lev-O-Gage clinometer from West Marine for ~$14.00. Their website is West Marine: Home Page. I mounted one on my FEL upright post. In reality I will probably roll before the gauge reacts, but they do a good job at indicating increasing slope. Jay

/ How much tilt is too much? #4  
The big problems tend to occur when you are not square or parallel to the slope and hit either a lump or a hole. Quartering across a slope, either up or down, with a load in the bucket can get real interesting. Somehow it always seems the lumps are on the high side and the holes are on the low side on my place.

/ How much tilt is too much? #5  
The guys who sell the tilt-meters here on TBN feature one with an incline meter stuck on the side of the tilt meter. Front-to-back is incline, side-to-side is tilt. I've done 20-ish degrees of incline, but like Jay, pucker at about 15 degrees of tilt.

A second tilt meter mounted front-to-back wouldn't be of much use, 'cuz you wouldn't be able to see the indicator from the seat.

/ How much tilt is too much? #6  
I only have one tilt meter to measure tilt. I do not have one to measure incline although there are other locations that I can see from the seat of my tractor where I could attach one for that purpose, but I am too easily distracted to have to deal with another tilt meter. I really do not need to measure incline as I do not have problems going up and down my slopes when rotary cutting. I pucker real quick doing FEL work :eek:. Why is it the lumps are always on the high side and the holes are on the low side of slopes :eek: and :confused:? Jay

/ How much tilt is too much? #7  
jbrumberg said:
I start to "pucker" around 15 degrees :eek:. You can purchase a standard Lev-O-Gage clinometer from West Marine for ~$14.00. Their website is West Marine: Home Page. I mounted one on my FEL upright post. In reality I will probably roll before the gauge reacts, but they do a good job at indicating increasing slope. Jay

But just think you can look at it when the wrecker pulls you back over on your wheels and have proof of the angle when you tell the story of how i turned over my tractor. :D (hope that never happens)
I have found that my seat is the best meter I have enough to do and look at just driving and not hitting something to be looking at another meter. JMHO

/ How much tilt is too much? #8  
rooftrussman said:

Just remember to swing your backhoe uphill when crossing a a slope...

jbrumberg has it right...15 degrees and you should be sweating...:D

Just as a rehash...here is one of the better operating manuals...
https://www.equiptrain.com/backhoes.htm

/ How much tilt is too much? #9  
I agree. 15 degrees is about all for me. Even thena small bumpor hole with a little speed with take you over. Those on here who say they operate on 30 to 45 degree slopes I believe just can't calculate. Simple physics explains that.

Andy

/ How much tilt is too much? #10  
Some guys over estimate a lot of things :rolleyes: Jay :D