Sharing with Neighbor

/ Sharing with Neighbor #21  
I don't lend or borrow and I found out whom my real friends are....Better that way. Possible hard feelings up front but none later..

/ Sharing with Neighbor #22  
Wow, what a bunch a crabs...go for it Tony, and be thankful they ain't yer neighbors:D

/ Sharing with Neighbor #23  
One thing you might run into doing the job instead of lending the attachment is libility if you damage something of his while doing the job.

Last edited:
   / Sharing with Neighbor #24  
There's a few things you don't share... tractors and wives...

As some one else said.. everything breaks.. if his item breaks while you are using it.. you will be paying for it.. if you are paying for it.. you might as well own it.

Soundguy

/ Sharing with Neighbor #25  
Lending and borrowing are both much like a "business partnership"......they're destined for friction... I build custom furniture, and have many, many dollars invested in tools and equipment. I have an old "slop-sink" just inside the entrance of my shop, filled with old worn-out tools.... hammers, screwdrivers, etc. Above it on the wall is a sign that reads "These Are The Tools That May Be Borrowed". It's a very nice way of explaining that I DO NOT lend equipment or tools. I am always happy to lend assistance or otherwise help a friend or neighbor, but only if I accompany my tools. Then, if damaged, I can only blame myself. I DO NOT borrow.....If I need it, then I buy it ! I'll take my tractor to a neighbor's place and gladly help him/her accomplish any task, but I do so because I enjoy helping others. Lending or Borrowing will cause hard feelings, sooner or later. I'd really like to avoid that.

/ Sharing with Neighbor #26  
" No good deed goes unpunished"

I heard this bit of wisdom, and felt it's truth. Having said that...it depends a lot on the maturity of both parties. How many people do you know that are completely trustworthy?
The thing is..we can rarely-truly know another person..yes, yes, I know, your question is about a mutual agreement,..... rarely does it work like that though.
In your case it just might be okay?

/ Sharing with Neighbor #27  
irwin said:
" No good deed goes unpunished"

I heard this bit of wisdom, and felt it's truth. Having said that...it depends a lot on the maturity of both parties. How many people do you know that are completely trustworthy?
The thing is..we can rarely-truly know another person..yes, yes, I know, your question is about a mutual agreement,..... rarely does it work like that though.
In your case it just might be okay?

Yep! Some people can be trusted with anything. Some can't be trusted at all. There is no way of knowing until you take the plunge. (Starting to sound like marriage?) Relatives (especially in-laws...There's that marriage deal again) ) are USUALLY the worst offenders, but even that rule isn't carved in stone.

Back when I first started attempting to put together enough equipment to run a farm, I met a neighbor who was in the same boat I was in. Not enough money, not willing to go in over his head in debt, and willing to take a risk. We decided to share some equipment until we both got up and running. We even traded labor. The only ground rule was, no "keeping score". We did as much as we each could do to help the other. I bought what I could find and afford. Raymond did the same. If a piece of shared equipment broke, we both went to work repairing it. Several times we shared the cost oof repairs on each others equipment. (especially on my old MF300 combine) Finally, over the years, we each had our own equipment. Until this day, we still do what we can to help each other. Some years I spent more time at his place than he did at mine. Other years it was just the opposite. In the end, we have a great friendship, each ended up with more to show for out efforts than if we'd gone it alone, and learned a valuable lesson in life. There are still a few good folks on this earth who believe you get more from life than you give. The possibilities are worth the risk.

/ Sharing with Neighbor #28  
Farmwithjunk said:
Back when I first started attempting to put together enough equipment to run a farm, I met a neighbor who was in the same boat I was in. ~ snip ~ and learned a valuable lesson in life. There are still a few good folks on this earth who believe you get more from life than you give. The possibilities are worth the risk.

And there is always the rare real deal.. I've got a good friend, been glad to say yes when my help is needed, and visa versa...takes risk, but must have respect....one more thing,... we don't all have the same capabilities, some are good welders, some better with technical things, etc. watch out for the clumsy ones with your tools..:rolleyes:

/ Sharing with Neighbor #29  
I am with Curly and FWJ on this one. Not only may you both save lots of cash, but you will probably form a much stronger, longer lasting friendship than if you just fenced your place in and got all your own stuff. It is always better to build that bridge. Friendships are built on trust, and sharing is the best way to demonstrate that vital quality. If your nieghbor sees you purchase some rarely used implements that he has, he will think less of you than if you borrow his.

/ Sharing with Neighbor #30  
Soundguy said:
As some one else said.. everything breaks.. if his item breaks while you are using it.. you will be paying for it.. if you are paying for it.. you might as well own it.

Soundguy

That just don't seem like sound logic to me.

If you paid for it and you break it, you fix it. If it's borrowed and you break it, you fix it, you just didn't pay to own it. So between the 2 of you, you save the entire value of the second duplicate item, whether it breaks or not.

I guess I'm more into building relationships with my neighbors than some of you folks...but I'd measure this fella up and see if he had similar values in life. You'll find that many folk can indeed be trusted. And you have to build relationships based on trust...if you never trust this neighbor for nothing, and he you...then you ain't building a relationship anyhow. Of course, it's like any relationship...you gotta put yourself out there and yes...there's always the possiblity of a let down. But the upside to me is 10 times better than the downside...like FWJ said...he's got an incredible relationship with a neighbor that was built the old fashioned way...and they both had to take chances to get there. Those kinda relationships ain't cheap...they are priceless.

For those that say you don't loan you wives and tractors...how'd you ever get married being so skittish about trusting folks with your stuff:D