Driving tractor 20 miles on road

/ Driving tractor 20 miles on road #1  

catvet

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L-39
Well I want to move my Kubota L39 from one property to my other. There is about 20 miles between them. I've been quoted $125-$200 to move it each way and would be at the mercy of the timing of the truckers.

I'm thinking I'll just drive the 20 miles. The tractor supposedly does 11 MPH at top end so I figure 2-3 hours should get me there. I live in rural Vermont and will be taking mostly back roads.

Any pros or cons to doing this? Any particular suggestions? To my knowledge farm vehicles can travel on public roads as long as have the slow vehicle sign on back and the flashers going.

/ Driving tractor 20 miles on road #2  
I road almost all of my tractors in order to get to my fields. Just make sure you have your SMV sign and that your lights and flashers work. In New York a tractor has the same rights on the road as any other vehicle.

The longest drive that I can remember is a 25 mile drive on the TN 65 pulling a NH 575 baler and a 9x18 kicker wagon. Just pick a nice day to drive so you can enjoy it.

/ Driving tractor 20 miles on road #3  
Back in 1988, I bought a used combine at an auction and drove it home. The cost of having it hauled would have been more than I paid for the combine.

55 miles :eek:

20 miles of rural roads on a fall day while driving a tractor sounds like a FUN drive to me. Make sure you have that SMV emblem, turn on your flashers, and keep your eyes peeled for bad drivers.

/ Driving tractor 20 miles on road #4  
In Iowa we have multiple Tractor Rides, where 20 miles is nothing with over 300 tractors driving down the road. I haven't went on one of the rides yet, but some rides take several days. Tractor riding in Iowa is HOT!

Dennis R.
4720 J.D.

/ Driving tractor 20 miles on road #5  
I wanted to take my tractor to my sister's house (3 miles each way, 2 lane paved highway) to fix her washed out driveway and asked the town about driving down the road. They said I had to register it just like a car and get a plate from the DMV. There was no inspection but a yearly registration like a car.

They go by weight and I just brought the bill of sale and the weight (6000lbs +/-) to the town and they gave me a registration ($62). The DMV mailed the plate to me within 1 week and I can re-register it at the town hall every year.

My max speed is 11 mph also, it was an incredibly smooth ride and I contribute that to the Industrial tires. Also, cruise control for the HST made for a real nice ride. :cool: This is in New Hampshire by the way.

/ Driving tractor 20 miles on road #6  
Running on pavement will eat tires fast, careful

:)

/ Driving tractor 20 miles on road #7  
I've never seen much tire wear from asphalt.

Dennis R.
4720 J.D.

/ Driving tractor 20 miles on road #8  
MrJimi said:
Running on pavement will eat tires fast, careful

:)

Most of the big farms who put more miles on the road then I do have not seen any major wear issues. Working on rock and gravel where your tires are more likely to spin will cause more wear then running on smooth asphalt.

/ Driving tractor 20 miles on road #9  
I have an uncle that drove a John Deere combine from Moline to Ga back in the 50's, I think he said it took 3 or 4 days

/ Driving tractor 20 miles on road #10  
What insurance would cover you if you caused an accident with your tractor while traveling a public road??:mad: