draft control, position control and mixed

/ draft control, position control and mixed #1  

RancherSam

Silver Member
Tractor
Case IH JX95 4x4
hello,

I understand draft control ( maintaining in ground depth) and position control ( set depth off the ground ) but my tractor manual talks about a "mixed" control with both draft and position controls engaged. It is confusing to me when I would use that in an application, can anyone clarify? Thanks.

I have a case-ih jx95.

/ draft control, position control and mixed #2  
You're not exactly correct in your thinking of draft control and position control.

Mixed control is basically what it sounds like. It's a "mix" of draft control and position control. Position control just basically sets the position of the implement without any consideration of the drag placed on it. It can be "in ground" or "above ground". Good for mowing and such. Draft control will change the position of the implement based on the drag experienced through the toplink. If you're plowing, the implement has a tendency to go deeper and deeper. The limiting factor would be either the implement totally buried or the tractor losing traction or pull. That's where draft control comes into play. It would automatically raise the implement when the drag increases so as to then decrease the drag, or pull, experienced by the toplink. You can set your draft control on "sensitive" or "insensitive" and anywhere in between. If it is more in the sensitive setting it has a tendency to raise the implement more readily with minimal increase in drag. If you're in heavy soil you don't want the sensitive setting because it's likely the implement will never get deep enough. But what if you're in heavy soil and you have the draft control set relatively insensitive. Then suddenly the soil becomes lighter. The implement suddenly becomes buried much deeper with that draft control setting. This is where "Mixed Control" comes into play. You set the sensitivity on the draft control lever and the position DEPTH LIMIT on the position control lever. Mixed control is basically draft control with a maximum depth position set. The 3ph height may never get to that position, based on the draft control settings, but if it does, it can't go deeper than that. Would be ideal for mixed soil conditions. If you're plowing along in draft control and then you noticed the implement getting too deep you could always pull back on the position control lever until the implement raises to a desired height. Now you're in "mixed control"! Hope that rambling makes sense.

There's also a good explanation on TractorSmart.com. Just click on [INFO] and then click [TRACTOR THREE POINT LIFT TYPES].

/ draft control, position control and mixed #3  
Glowplug said:
You're not exactly correct in your thinking of draft control and position control.

Mixed control is basically what it sounds like. It's a "mix" of draft control and position control. Position control just basically sets the position of the implement without any consideration of the drag placed on it. It can be "in ground" or "above ground". Good for mowing and such. Draft control will change the position of the implement based on the drag experienced through the toplink. If you're plowing, the implement has a tendency to go deeper and deeper. The limiting factor would be either the implement totally buried or the tractor losing traction or pull. That's where draft control comes into play. It would automatically raise the implement when the drag increases so as to then decrease the drag, or pull, experienced by the toplink. You can set your draft control on "sensitive" or "insensitive" and anywhere in between. If it is more in the sensitive setting it has a tendency to raise the implement more readily with minimal increase in drag. If you're in heavy soil you don't want the sensitive setting because it's likely the implement will never get deep enough. But what if you're in heavy soil and you have the draft control set relatively insensitive. Then suddenly the soil becomes lighter. The implement suddenly becomes buried much deeper with that draft control setting. This is where "Mixed Control" comes into play. You set the sensitivity on the draft control lever and the position DEPTH LIMIT on the position control lever. Mixed control is basically draft control with a maximum depth position set. The 3ph height may never get to that position, based on the draft control settings, but if it does, it can't go deeper than that. Would be ideal for mixed soil conditions. If you're plowing along in draft control and then you noticed the implement getting too deep you could always pull back on the position control lever until the implement raises to a desired height. Now you're in "mixed control"! Hope that rambling makes sense.

There's also a good explanation on TractorSmart.com. Just click on [INFO] and then click [TRACTOR THREE POINT LIFT TYPES].

Awesome description!!!! Reminded me of the day when I was 9 years old that my Dad took me to the field and taught me to plow with a 641 Workmaster Ford tractor and 3-14 Dearborn plow. Not exactly word for word but close to what my Dad said so I understood how to setup and regulate the tractor/plow combination to achieve his idea of perfect plowing which was 6" depth. Good Job Glowplug!!! :)

/ draft control, position control and mixed #4  
ovrszd said:
Awesome description!!!! Reminded me of the day when I was 9 years old that my Dad took me to the field and taught me to plow with a 641 Workmaster Ford tractor and 3-14 Dearborn plow. Not exactly word for word but close to what my Dad said so I understood how to setup and regulate the tractor/plow combination to achieve his idea of perfect plowing which was 6" depth. Good Job Glowplug!!! :)

Thanks man. Too bad I don't have enough implements to put that knowledge to use.;)

One thing I didn't really mention. Not all tractors have draft control, and obviously then they don't have mixed control. I know the Kubota line pretty well but am not familiar with the other makes. In the small subcompact tractors they may have a variant of position control and that's all. Kubota has their "Quarter Inching Control". The way I understand it is that it's kinda like position control but doesn't allow for an infinite range of positions. Instead there are preset locations every 1/4". I would imagine it would be kind of "jumpy" when moving an implement, but I've never used it. As you move up the Kubota line position control becomes available. The only tractors that really have draft control are the full-size M-series. The L4400 also has it available but not standard from my understanding.

/ draft control, position control and mixed #5  
Glowplug said:
Thanks man. Too bad I don't have enough implements to put that knowledge to use.;)

One thing I didn't really mention. Not all tractors have draft control, and obviously then they don't have mixed control. I know the Kubota line pretty well but am not familiar with the other makes. In the small subcompact tractors they may have a variant of position control and that's all. Kubota has their "Quarter Inching Control". The way I understand it is that it's kinda like position control but doesn't allow for an infinite range of positions. Instead there are preset locations every 1/4". I would imagine it would be kind of "jumpy" when moving an implement, but I've never used it. As you move up the Kubota line position control becomes available. The only tractors that really have draft control are the full-size M-series. The L4400 also has it available but not standard from my understanding.

Yep, my B2910 has Position Control but it doesn't have Draft Control. So the lift mechanism has no way to track the plow depth by feeling the pull on the toplink. It simply sets the lift arms at a certain height in relationship to the tractor chassis. Everything is good until you go over a hump or into a low spot. At those times the plow is going to come out of the ground or bury itself.

I wouldn't say you can't plow without Draft Control because there are users on here that do it. But I will say you can't easily plow without Draft Control if you are plowing many acres of uneven farmland. You might do okay plowing a flat small truck patch but that's about it. Of course I'm still setting the standard my Dad taught me of consistant plowing depth. :)

/ draft control, position control and mixed #6  
ovrszd said:
Yep, my B2910 has Position Control but it doesn't have Draft Control. So the lift mechanism has no way to track the plow depth by feeling the pull on the toplink. It simply sets the lift arms at a certain height in relationship to the tractor chassis. Everything is good until you go over a hump or into a low spot. At those times the plow is going to come out of the ground or bury itself.

I wouldn't say you can't plow without Draft Control because there are users on here that do it. But I will say you can't easily plow without Draft Control if you are plowing many acres of uneven farmland. You might do okay plowing a flat small truck patch but that's about it. Of course I'm still setting the standard my Dad taught me of consistant plowing depth. :)

That's why they make guage wheels for turning plows, box blades, etc... for people without draft control. Draft control is standard on all M series Kubotas except the M4800. Didn't think I would need it when I bought my tractor. Now I'm probably going to have it added.

Chris

/ draft control, position control and mixed #7  
ovrszd said:
Yup you got there ?

/ draft control, position control and mixed #8  
Hi Glowplug

That is the best description of draft - position - mixed I have ever read. Very clear even to me. When you read a tech version of what you wrote, you end up saying.....What it say?

/ draft control, position control and mixed #9  
GreenMtns said:
Hi Glowplug

That is the best description of draft - position - mixed I have ever read. Very clear even to me. When you read a tech version of what you wrote, you end up saying.....What it say?

Thanks!