Squirrels and Mice

/ Squirrels and Mice #1  

mrutkaus

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30HST, Kubota BX-1500,
Advice needed on reality based methods to keep squirrels and mice etc out of engines. Not something you read somewhere, please, something that actually worked for you.

This is not a tractor but could have been, and might be. A '76 Mercedes 450SEL stored under a tarp.

Jaw Dropping, tried to start it a couple months ago, wouldn't start. Finally opened hood. Seven out of 8 plug wires (SS sheathing over core) eaten thru completely. Most of them in two places, ie, placing a 4" length of plug wire on the ground for each one. Looked like an assembly line operation. That was all, so I thought. How did they know to just eat the plug wires?

Spent a few hours routing and putting in new wires, car started, ran fine (after 5 months or so). Noticed battery wasn't charging.

Then looked more, found squirrels ate thru completely alternator wires under battery and a couple of other sensors.

Just about to put it all back together after soldering/splicing etc.

How can I keep them out? This is out in the woods fairly near the house.

Mike
Winchester VA

/ Squirrels and Mice #2  
My wife doesn't like to use chemical baits for fear of killing all the animals. So, I use a 5 gallon bucket of water filled partially with water and spread peanut butter a couple inches from the top. Place a board going from the bucket top to the ground. The mice run up the ramp, try to get the peanut butter and fall in the water. I catch a lot of mice this way!! Very enviornmentally friendly.:) Except to the mice.:(

Solo

/ Squirrels and Mice #3  
Lots of threads on here with various tried and true suggestions. A glass jar half full of mothballs, placed on top of the engine/fuel tank, along with leaving the hood open works for my tractor.

- Jay

/ Squirrels and Mice #4  
Afternoon Mike,
Sorry to hear about all the aggravation the mice are giving you ! ;) My Uncle Dave stores his good car in the barn durring the winter months. He always leaves the hood up and car uncovered ! He also puts a couple of packets of unopened DeCon around the of the car, the mice if hungry will rip open the packets on their own. This has worked well for him, but if you have outside cats etc the DeCon could be a problem !

/ Squirrels and Mice
Thanks. Hood Open hadn't ocurred to me, maybe just a bit to take away the security that closed area must provide.

Mike

/ Squirrels and Mice #7  
I have a classic car in a pole barn and the mice seem to find their way in through the door. I have sealed the sides.

I put several socks filled with moth balls under the hood in various places where there are wires. So far it has worked. I check it weekly too. I would do that too if I were you until your sure the fix is working.

I also put an open box of moth balls in my small tool shed out back where they like to nest and that seems to be working too.

/ Squirrels and Mice #8  
mrutkaus said:
solo...confused where to put peanut butter...

I use a similar bucket trap, but have a teeter totter like board on the rim. Peanut butter goes on the far end of the teeter totter, over the water.

/ Squirrels and Mice #9  
Mouse / rat traps. The spring types work well, but you have to check them pretty often. Bait stations are usually pretty effective, although you did mention not wanting to use chemical solutions... I like the baited bucket idea.

/ Squirrels and Mice #10  
mrutkaus said:
solo...confused where to put peanut butter...

Spread the peanut butter on the inside of the bucket 2 or 3 inches from the top.

Solo