4x4 power

/ 4x4 power #21  
AGREE with u again bird. just use 4wd when necessary, for just mowing or doing odd jobs 2wd, no need to tear up any more ground than necessary.

/ 4x4 power #22  
I end up using FWD on pavement more than I should. On a lot of the jobs I do I have the fill dropped in the street and use the loader to move it where I want. It's easier to leave it in FWD than to shift it in and out. Time will tell if this is a bad idea or not. It lets me know if I forget to kick it out, the gears really howl when you get up to road speed.

/ 4x4 power #23  
You mean there is a 2wd setting for my tractor? it can't be too hard on the tractors since jeeps and lots of service vehicles have been 4x4 only since 1946. I admit to trying the 2wd mode out once but I just ended up stuck and had to shift right back to 4x4

/ 4x4 power #24  
<font color=blue>It's easier to leave it in FWD than to shift it in and out.</font color=blue>

Not intending to stir anything up but just wanted to point out that this is one area that the Boomers have a slight advantage: the Sensi-trak feature. 4wd kicks in when wheel slippage starts, hence reducing unnecessary wear on tires and gears. Boomers have three settings: 2wd, sensi-trak, and full time 4wd. I usually end up leaving it in sensi-trak around 98% of the time.

/ 4x4 power #25  
Heck, I'm still having trouble adjusting to 4x4 trucks where you don't have to get out and manually lock the hubs!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Jeff

/ 4x4 power #26  
Heck, I'm still having trouble adjusting to 4x4 trucks where you don't have to get out and manually lock the hubs

I know what ya mean...got one with auto-locking hubs, and a pick up with manual hubs...no wonder I can't get anywhere!

/ 4x4 power #27  
Well, my Kubota manual lists 2WD and 4WD at the same horsepower - no surprise there. So, it's traction. How much difference - 20-25% previously mentioned, maybe. I run in 2WD most of the time to minimize wear/tear. Heck, when the much smaller front tires are "light" (e.g. heavy brush cutter or box blade), the 4WD advantage is minimal. Also note that the front differential on most tractors does not lock, so in slippery conditions only the front tire with the greater traction is helping pull the load. 4WD drive is more helpful in compact tractors than it is for the larger, very heavy agricultural types (no FEL, just pulling tasks) - when one has a tractor that weighs over 4500 lbs, with rear duallies and a locking rear differential, the relative advantage of traction on 1 of the small front wheels is minimal.
Yes, it sure is nice not to have to switch to 4WD at the hubs, especially during snow/sleet. Do most of you folks who normally use 2WD, when faced with a temporarily challenging traction problem, stomp on the rear differential lock-up lever (yes, after the lower traction tire stops spinning), or reach down for a yank on the 4WD knob?
Listen, I love having 4WD drive whenever I need it, as it has saved my bacon on numerous occasions, & when the rear tires are "light" (e.g., FEL load), it is sure makes driving less dicey.

/ 4x4 power #28  
you hit the nail right on the head!!! one of the things i had to get used to was the fel being able to lift front end up, when u do that your front drive wheels do nothing. was not used to a tractor that woud do that, but i learned! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif on the whole w4d is great.

/ 4x4 power #29  
I thought the 5000 series deeres had a limited slip front axle? Do any of the brands have a center differential? If so full time 4wd would be fine, I would think. I don't know any that do tho.

g

/ 4x4 power #30  
They have it on the TNs, too. You have to order the power shuttle to get it.