4x4 power

/ 4x4 power #41  
It was pretty cold when I had the problem as I was trying to put it up to take my 3 year old to pre school. Soooo, we just blasted the heat, put the windows up and froze. If I remember right the pulsating happened about every second. Question, doesn't the same motor raise the trunk lid? The lid opened without any problem and the panel folded under. It was when the top itself tried to raise that I had the problem.

Yes, the radio is a transistor model. There are two electrical componants on the outside of the case. I think they are transistors. As I've said before, I don't know much about electrical stuff other than smoke is a bad sign. I am told that these will cause my problem when there is something wrong with them which causes them to overheat. It works great for 1/2 hour and then if I turn it off and let it cool down it works great again for another 1/2 hour.

Oh well, this is why I got this car...to learn stuff./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Jeff

/ 4x4 power #42  
Just wait until the sequential turn signals quit. :(

/ 4x4 power #43  
Don't have 'em. My car is a '64 and while Ford had it all ready for them mechanically, the government did not approve them until '65. I am considering converting them as they now make a solid state module which eliminated all of the headaches of the electro mechanical sequencer.

Jeff

/ 4x4 power #44  
I think the same system raises both the top and the trunk lid, but opening the trunk lid is a much lighter task - less strain on the system. However if the pulsing was at one second intervals, I don't think that is enough time for the circuit breaker to break and then reset.

/ 4x4 power #45  
I here you there. The worst part about them is most people who buy them will never take them off road. They just buy them because they are a status symbol. Hey look at me, I drive a SUV.

Now this is an urban legend if I ever heard one. I know of ALOT of people that have them and use them just like a 4x4 pickup. My Mom for one has always driven one. She uses 4wd everyday in the winter. She has pulled calves, pulled people out of ditches and being stuck, etc., etc. with it. She has about 18,000 acres on her ranch and probably uses it more than she uses a pickup. My wife has one and she does just as much off road as I do. Two weeks ago she even pulled my F-250 diesel 4x4 out of being stuck. My sister has one and she won the bull riding four times in the womens prof. rodeo circuit. She also uses it daily on their ranch. I could go on and on with people that I know that have them that are pretty tough people and use them tough. I bet you just as many people use an SUV for 4wd as people that buy a pickup with 4wd use it. The reason people buy them is they are safer than a car, you have 4wd when you need it and they are very functional to have, esp. if you have children. If you have kids and need storage you either get a minivan or an SUV. I'd sure rather have an SUV. Anyway it's kind of like saying that the only guys that buy compact tractors are yuppies. Well I know most of the guys on here aren't yuppies either.

/ 4x4 power #46  
Richard,
Where I live (out in boonies) people use them as you stated. Where I work (in the city) most people just drive them for show. I have even seen spray on mud (in an aerosol can) so you can make it look like you were out 4 wheeling, but don't have to worry about marring your paint job or fancy rims. It just seems like every one is jumping on the SUV bandwagon.

/ 4x4 power #47  
<font color=blue>It just seems like every one is jumping on the SUV bandwagon.</font color=blue>

No, we were specifically talking about the Cadillac, Lincoln, Lexus type SUV's and not all SUV's. I don't believe that many who spend an additional 15k to 20k over the already high price of a standard suv actually take them off road. While I realize that there may even be exceptions to this, a few examples still don't make it an untrue statement. I suppose that if someone had enough money that the purchase of a Lincoln Navigator was nothing to them, they might not be as apt to treat it with kid gloves. Doesn't the term Oxy Moron mean opposites.....Luxury Truck./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Jeff

/ 4x4 power #48  
Just thought of a joke from way back when that I think applies.

What is the difference between a Hum Vee in the desert and a Hum Vee in L.A.?

In the desert the Hum Vee is a tool.....

In L.A. the person driving the Hum Vee is the tool!

/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

My wife just told me s story about the wife of one of her co workers. Apparently she was driving her full size SUV, Yukon I think, when she pulled right out in front of someone in a car. The car being lower hit her dead center hard enough to pick the thing up and roll it. Sure would have been something to see I bet. Fortunately, nobody was hurt with any more than a few bumps and bruises. Not sure what type the car was though.

Jeff

/ 4x4 power #49  
<font color=blue>The car being lower hit her dead center hard enough to pick the thing up and roll it. </font color=blue>
See, SUVs do roll over easier! Consumer Reports was right!! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ 4x4 power #50  
See, SUVs do roll over easier

Of course they do...higher Center of Gravity.

Those morons at NHTSA just figure out high school physics?