Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Default 4x4 power

I just bought my first 4wd tractor. It has the same hp as my 2wd but feels like twice the power! Is there a comparison chart or something of that nature that may compare 2wd hp to 4wd hp for example a 45 hp 4wd is equal to a 65 hp 2wd. I'm just interested in your thoughts.
    Thanks, Ken

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B7300; JD LX233

Default Re: 4x4 power

Well, I'm a software engineer, which doesn't make me an expert in this field, but my guess is that you feel like you have more power because you have more traction. I see the quote "I run out of traction before I run out of power" all the time on this board (I'm a long time lurker, recent member), so it would seem to reason that doubled traction equates to doubled "usable power".

Or perhaps your new motor just has more torque ;-)...

Rest in Peace
    Tractor
    kubota b2400- R4 tires

I don't think it is a question of power! just that 4wd gives u so much more traction u think u are superman. i would never consider a 2 wd tractor again. just mho

Tractor
    2001 NH 33D

I could not believe the difference myself between 2WD and 4WD.My old tractor was just 2WD and i was always losing traction,traded for a 4WD and WOW! I didn't know what i was missing.

Tractor
    MF 220 - Long 2360- Kioti 3054

I'll give you my comments on this next week. I just bought my first 4x4 tractor today. Will have it delievered next monday. I have two tractors that are 2x4 used for upkeep on same steep driveway. one with ag tires, one with turfs. Next week, we will see how much difference the 4x4 makes.
    Bill

Veteran Member
    Home-1+ acres New Hope, TX / 24 acres-Fannin County
    Tractor
    JD 950

4wd can't add hp to the engine. It does obviously add traction. If you are in 2 wd and the rear tires do not lose traction, then you are applying the same hp to the ground as you would in 4 wd. In most cases though, you have more hp than traction. That is where 4wd adds to your pulling power.

Tractor
    Kubota 2710

I am a little more skeptical than most regarding the extra traction theory. I personally don't use 4wd unless I have to, so just trotting around the farmstead, I'm in 2wd. If you don't have 4wd engaged, then I would probably look to a higher torque rating as someone already suggested. That, or the 2wd tractor's engine is a bit "tired" and the 4wd engine is fresh and rarin' to go[img]/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Rule of Thumb 20 ~ 25 Percent Increase in effective Drawbar HP using a MFWD Tractor versus a 2-WD Tractorů

Tractor
    New Holland TC33D w/SS

The rule of thumb that JMIII mentions is the same that I've heard. I think it's important to note that it is the draw-bar Hp, the Hp transmitted to the ground; this would account for the traction.

Tractor
    Kubota 2710

Clearly this must be with MFWD engaged?? Some (including me) might take his initial post to mean that "out of the box" (not in 4wd mode), this tractor "feels" more powerful. Is that what you meant, qzbmpc?

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast