Mowing Mid Mount Mower Question

/ Mid Mount Mower Question #1  

bobm39

My tractor is a Kubota B7100 with a 54" deck. It's my understanding that this deck is meant to be operated with the guage wheels running on the ground. Not sure what this type of deck is called. Then we have the floating decks that are operated as they are suspended (floating) under the tractor. The guage wheels for these come in contact when there is an uneven surface. I believe this is called anti scalping.

The guage wheels on my deck look to be rather heavy and nearly indistructible whereas the floating wheels appear to be more light duty.

When operating my mower with the wheels in contact with the ground I tend to tear up the turf on tight turns and when first backing. The shafts on the wheels and the wheel axles are all well greased and move freely. It seems to be the first change in directions the wheels will peel back a section of turf.
Is this normal for this type of deck?

I would guess a floating deck does not do this?

/ Mid Mount Mower Question #2  
Bobm39,

I have a Kubota B2410 with the 54" mid-mount deck that runs on the guage wheels on the ground (ie Not floating). I do not get any turf tear from the wheels at all. Only turf tear I get is if I forget to take the tractor out of 4WD and make a quick turn :rolleyes: I would say there is something wrong with either the wheels themselves (not turning easily) or with the installation to the tractor.

This is not normal as far as I know.

/ Mid Mount Mower Question #3  
I have a New Holland TC24 with a 60" MMM and ground contact wheels. It doesn't not tear the turf when turning. One thing, on the New Holland the 3 point still carries some of the weight of the deck. Is the kubota the same? If so, are you putting too much weight on the deck by dropping the 3 point hitch too low?

/ Mid Mount Mower Question #4  
bobm39 said:
When operating my mower with the wheels in contact with the ground I tend to tear up the turf on tight turns and when first backing.

It depends on what your turf is like too. I have a few uneven, damp, and shady areas where I raise the deck before I turn. The other areas where the sun gets to is not any problem at all.

/ Mid Mount Mower Question
The the Kubota B7100 uses the 3 point to raise and lower the deck. Although I have at times used the deck as if it were a floating deck it usually ends up with the wheels runing on the ground.

As to the type of tuff being torn up, it does not seem to matter whether it be mossy or good green grass. I don't mean to sound like I'm plowing the ground but when I back up as the guage wheels turn they don't turn fast enough and catch the turf and peel some back, maybe 12 inches.

Possibly I need to use the lift more when backing up to raise the wheels of the ground. Turning isn't as bad as I maybe made it sound but sharp turns are, again I probably need to lift the mower until I am turned.

Thanks

/ Mid Mount Mower Question #6  
bobm39 said:
Possibly I need to use the lift more when backing up to raise the wheels of the ground. Turning isn't as bad as I maybe made it sound but sharp turns are, again I probably need to lift the mower until I am turned.

I lower my mower at the beginning of mowing, and don't raise it at all until I'm done or going over things I don't want to mow ;) I don't think you should have to use the 3PH to control tearing issues on the turf at all.