Solar trickle charger on top of cab?

/ Solar trickle charger on top of cab? #1  

Builder

East PA or 750 mi. east of a short man named Dar__
Tractor
Kubota, AGCO, New Holland LB
Anyone do this? I thought it would be smart to trickle charge the batts in my backhoe when not being used.

Anyone do this with their tractor? Can you recommend a good solar trickle charge panel that wires onto the battery easily? :)

/ Solar trickle charger on top of cab? #2  
I use the little 9.99$ ones from harbor freight. it is a little panel about the size of a shoe box top.. red abd plastic with a clear lense over the solar cell... has about a 6' 24awg cord and terminates into a cig lighter plug .. that's where the charge regulator is hidden... has an led to indicate charge.. etc.

I've added cig lighter female adapters to all my 12v tractors.. that way I can plug in an inverter.. or tire pump.. or other small 'automotive' appliances.

Most of them are just ring terminaled right to the battery and then bangle next to it... one of em i took the gumption to add it as a panel mount.. with a rubber cover.. etc.

It keeps the battery in my IH cub up since i only run it 2x per year..

Soundguy

/ Solar trickle charger on top of cab?
   / Solar trickle charger on top of cab? #4  
Builder
I have a $39.00 one and a $150.00 one at my cabin the more expensive one keeps my deep cycle battery charged for the radio and the smaller one keeps my generator battery topped off and they they do fine.

One guy at work uses one on his hydraulic tilt bed trailer to kep battery charged between uses its mounted on his battery box.

tom

/ Solar trickle charger on top of cab? #5  
tommu56 said:
Builder
I have a $39.00 one and a $150.00 one at my cabin the more expensive one keeps my deep cycle battery charged for the radio and the smaller one keeps my generator battery topped off and they they do fine.

One guy at work uses one on his hydraulic tilt bed trailer to kep battery charged between uses its mounted on his battery box.

tom

What brands are you using? I have been thinking about one for my tractor and have no electric to the pole barn (yet).

/ Solar trickle charger on top of cab? #6  
beersngars

One is similar to this bought at a rv place
ICP SOLAR™ SUNSEI SE-1200 SOLAR CHARGER - JCWhitney RV & Camper Parts

The other is a HF 39.00 one for lighter plug

They have been working for about 25 years with out any problem just mounted in the picture window.

I did just order 2 mitubushi 125 watt panels and the rest of the works to minimize the generator run time.

tom

/ Solar trickle charger on top of cab? #7  
   / Solar trickle charger on top of cab? #9  
NY_Yankees_Fan said:
Link to prior discussion on this topic, with pictures

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/owning-operating/70283-solar-trickle-charger.html

I also added 3 of these vw solar panels they use them to keep the batteries charges on the ship from the mother country to the USA. If u have a local VW dealer u can get them cheap I am sure. I got off e-bay for about $25

VW VOLKSWAGEN SOLAR PANEL BATTERY CHARGER 12V - (eBay item 150171836748 end time Oct-21-07 07:11:22 PDT)

Hey I remember that thread.
That same one is still charging my Kama. And it doesn't overcharge. I've got another one for my ATV too. As a matter of fact, I've had one in my old Blazer for 3 years and it keeps my 6 year old battery charged too. You can see it through the window on the panel.
(Ignore the stick)

/ Solar trickle charger on top of cab? #10  
I bought one from Boats USA back in mid 90's to keep the batteries up on the tractor trailer I was driving over the road. I had a refriderator in it and before the solar panel, I would have to unload it and reload it everytime I came in and went back out, as the refriderator would drain the batteries(4) in about 24 hours. With the solar panel, it would build back up during the day, only to loose ground that night, but never getting quite to the point the batteries wouldn't start the truck. During the summer months, no problem at all due to the longer days.
I mounted the solar panel by laying it on the sunroof cover and putting the cover back up, and plugging it into a 12v outlet. So the panels will work under glass, and in my case, tinted glass. My solar panel was probably a little bigger than what you need to trickle charge a battery and it was water and weather proof, as it was made for use on boat around salt water.
David from jax