HP per ft of tillage equipment

/ HP per ft of tillage equipment #1  

BobinIL

Bronze Member
Tractor
2006 John Deere 790
Does anyone know if there is a rating for the amount of HP required to pull a certain width of impliment? For instance a 25 ft soil finisher needs a 180 hp tractor to pull it. This would break down to 7.2 HP per foot. So if I have a 100 hp tractor I need to be looking at a soil finisher 13.8 or 14 ft wide.

What about chisel plows and rippers. I have read that you need at a minimum 10HP per shank with spikes attached. And about 20HP per shank if a 4" moldboard is attached.

Any guidance out there?

/ HP per ft of tillage equipment #2  
You have almost asked a question that is equivalent of "how high is up?"

There are no hard and fast rules. The amount of hp required depends on many variables:

Type of implement.
Soil type/condition.
Depth of tillage.
Speed desired.
Etc.

So, as you can see, the same implement could take a drastically different hp under different conditions.

Probably your best option is to find out what implement you wish to use, how deep you wish to run, how fast you want to go, and then consult with someone knowledgeable about soil types in your area, such as your local dealer, and use their "local knowledge" to guide you.

Hope this helped.

/ HP per ft of tillage equipment #3  
The gauge most people seem to use around here is 5 pto hp per 1 foot with of implement.

/ HP per ft of tillage equipment #4  
I have seen some guys try and pull a 40 ft trailer 300 ft. with over 300hp and can't. Just had to throw that in.

Lee

/ HP per ft of tillage equipment #5  
I think one of the old rules of thumb was 10-15 horse power per plough share.

A long time ago tractors were rated in how many plough shares they would pull.

/ HP per ft of tillage equipment #7  
As I grew up, there was an adage for rotary hoes that you required 1hp for 1" of width of the rotary hoe. Another one that was used was for PTO driven maize harvester of 50hp per row. For this, it would mean that you need 200hp for a 4 row machine.
Because torque has incresased dramtically over the past ten - fifteen years. These old adages start to become redundant as the the torque starts to get used to maintain power more constantly and hence the terms "torque back up" and "torque reserve".
But the people selling the implement should be able to advise you what size implement should be correct for the tractor you have as well as neighbours around you with local knowledge.
It's interesting to see the answers you have so far and as you can see they are wide and varied, but all not far from one another.

/ HP per ft of tillage equipment #8  
BobinIL said:
Does anyone know if there is a rating for the amount of HP required to pull a certain width of impliment? For instance a 25 ft soil finisher needs a 180 hp tractor to pull it. This would break down to 7.2 HP per foot. So if I have a 100 hp tractor I need to be looking at a soil finisher 13.8 or 14 ft wide.

What about chisel plows and rippers. I have read that you need at a minimum 10HP per shank with spikes attached. And about 20HP per shank if a 4" moldboard is attached.

Any guidance out there?

Bob, the chart shown in one of the posts is a good ball park. It does vary with soils and conditions as well as the tractors and the machines themselves. In this area for chisels it's about 10hp per foot on three point hitch units and 12 on tow without any spikes.

/ HP per ft of tillage equipment #9  
Mornin Bob,
Good advice from all the guys ! I wont add to what has been given but your screen name caught my eye ! I frequented YT Tractor Forum many years before joining this site and I remembered a beautiful International 240 Utility that was posted in the photo section ! I was wondering if your the same BobinIl as the restorer of this tractor ??? If so beautiful job on that old International, Ive wanted since seeing yours !;) :)

Attachments

• 240 Utility.jpg
    240 Utility.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 747