The big 3

/ The big 3 #1  

D7E

Veteran Member
Tractor
Versatile 895 Versatile 876 Ford TW20 Ford TW5 MF 3505 FWA MF 390 FWA Ford 7600 Fiat 766 FWA JD 2030 MF 165 MF 35 Fordson major x 3 CAT 416 b Backhoe Case 580 b backhoe MF
My 7 year old son came home from school and said "Dad what are the big 3". In my opinion there is a" big 4", Ford,JD,MF,IH (in that order).But this varys in different circles ..How were you brought up ?

/ The big 3 #2  
For me in the UK it was MF, JD, Case / David Brown and Ford (Not in any particular order there)

/ The big 3 #3  
"Big 3" on TBN USUALLY refers to compact tractor manufacturers. That being Deere, Kubota, and New Holland. "Big 3" in US AG market is Deere, Case/NH, and AGCO. Mahindra has a huge share of the market, especially in Asia, currently the largest market for tractors. They're gaining in other parts of the world. Worldwide, it all depends on who's sales propaganda you read and listen to. They all have a way of juggling figures to come out on top. The last reliable information I saw, MF (AGCO) lead world-wide in numbers of tractors sold, but those figures were several years old. (MF numbers probably include MF "knock offs" built under license from AGCO. [Same, Tafe, ect])

/ The big 3 #4  
In this area the big three has been JD--IH--MF.

/ The big 3 #5  
I think the big three your son is referring to is GM, Ford and Chrylser...unless
he was asking about tractors specifically.

But...do they actually rate as the big 3 anymore?

/ The big 3 #6  
CNH is the largest equipment company in the world because of their construction division. When AGCO claims they are they only include the products that they compete with CNH over.

As was said, this is all a numbers game. Almost any company can be the largest for somthing depending on how they spin the numbers.

/ The big 3 #7  
D7E said:
My 7 year old son came home from school and said "Dad what are the big 3". In my opinion there is a" big 4", Ford,JD,MF,IH (in that order).But this varys in different circles ..How were you brought up ?

ford and IH are under the conglomerate of CNH

Around here, hearing 'big 3' usualy means CNH, Kubota, and JD, with a 4th member being MF..IE.. 4 members inthe big 3.. etc.

Blue, green, orange, and red..

different applications will have different 'big 3' members..

Soundguy

/ The big 3 #8  
Like TC29 said, whenever I hear "big 3" I automatically think of Ford, GM and Chrysler.

If tractor specific, Case/New Holland, Deere, AGCO.

/ The big 3 #9  
As my Stat. Prof in college used to say figures don't lie however liars figure
Don

/ The big 3 #10  
Where I grew up, it was Deere, MF, and IH.