Anyone doing a hay ride?

/ Anyone doing a hay ride? #1  

gladehound

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DS4510HS, Exmark Laser Z, Kioti LB1914
Hi all, just set up my trailer for my first annual hay ride. Below are some pictures. All the kids had a great time. Weight was distibuted about 50/50 on the tractor wheels versus the trailer wheels (with 9 kids & 10 adults) with about 30% of the total weight on the tractor's rears. With this weight distribution it stopped easily in 2wd even down a slight hill on gravel. I was very pleased with how easily the little tractor handled this big trailer. I think high tongue weight is the key to control with a big trailer and little tractor.

1st pic - my family in the tailer after I set it up.
2nd pic - side shot of trailer.

Attachments

• IMG_Family Picture.JPG
    IMG_Family Picture.JPG
    642.9 KB · Views: 773
  • Side of hay wagon.JPG
    Side of hay wagon.JPG
    621.7 KB · Views: 775
   / Anyone doing a hay ride?
Wanted to add that I'd like to see other peoples set ups.

/ Anyone doing a hay ride? #3  
Hey, I mean Hay, that's a nice setup !

/ Anyone doing a hay ride? #4  
I don't do hayrides (no trailer) but I made my decision to buy a tractor when I was on a hayride. Well, I sure was motivated by all those Deere UT's in the parking lot!
In southcentral PA, there is an annual Halloween hayride/tour of Rehmeyer's Hollow which is the location of a "witch" being murderd in 1927 (give or take a year). A local volunteer firehall (Winterstown) does this as a fund raiser. Should be a good one this year due to the brisk nights and tree finally turning.

Great pics, Ron!! Where abouts in PA are you?

/ Anyone doing a hay ride? #5  
I did one Saturday night. Of course I did not get any pics, and we did not have enough hay. This was the first time I have pulled a hay ride with my tractor. It was all my tractor wanted with the two small hills I had to climb on the route. We had about 7 adults and 10 kids on my 22' trailer. It was chilly but fun. I once pulled a 40' cotton trailer for a hay ride, want do that again. JC

/ Anyone doing a hay ride? #6  
We also had a hayride on Saturday night, and we too didn't get any pictures I don't think, although I should ask the wife if she took any, I was too busy driving tractor and grilling hot dogs. If I have any I will post them.

I just used my old landscape utility trailer with sides on it, was a bit narrow, but worked out great. Took 8 bales and everyone seemed to have fun.

/ Anyone doing a hay ride?
Roy - I'm in South East PA, in Lower Frederick Township, near Schwanksville. If you made a triangle with Reading, Allentown and King of Prussia, I would be in the middle fo the triangle.

RollTideRam - I was worried about not having enough hay as well but It worked out perfect and I wouldn't change the amount of hay (actually used straw not hay). I used 9 bails. I left 8 as bails to sit on and took one appart and spread it around. Halfway through the second hay ride of the night, an adult pushed a kid into the pile of loose straw in the middle. This sparked an all out straw war between about 5 of the kids (2-5 yrs old). I looked back and straw was flying everywhere. It really looked fun. The 2 yr old is mine. She is unbelievably agressive and I hear she was getting the better of a 3 yr old boy. My wife says I'm a bad influence on her. She's probably right :D

My trailer deck is only 14 x 7, but with bails around the parimeter and 3 foot sides as back rest there was plenty of room for adults to sit and monitor the youngsters playing in the middle. I actually got a request to do another hay ride for Thanksgiving and to make it longer.

I can't lie, more engine would have been nice. Our loop included about 1/2 mile of paved road where I brought the speed up to about 7 mph (1800 RPM in top gear). The combo weighed around 8-9K. Even the slightest hill would force a down shift to maintain speed. Glad my trany is syncronized. Off the road I had plenty of power at 1600-1800 rpm because the speeds and gears were lower. I hear of some guys just idling along, that would be nice, but not in the cards with a 19hp tractor and a 8-9K combo.

/ Anyone doing a hay ride? #8  
I'm glad to see those side rails on your trailer.

My daughter went on a hayride last week on a farm trailer with no rails. My wife went and held onto her. The guy that put on the hayride is an insurance agent who ought to know better. I've decided I'm going to have to tell my daughter from now on ---no rails --no riding.

/ Anyone doing a hay ride? #9  
Hay rides, floats, and this December I'm taking a carolling group around. Always lots of fun.

And your pics!!

Attachments

• a-4thfloat3.JPG
    a-4thfloat3.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 425
  • a-4thfloat4.JPG
    a-4thfloat4.JPG
    186.6 KB · Views: 507
  • dogwood.JPG
    dogwood.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 672
  • parade-tractor.JPG
    parade-tractor.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 606
   / Anyone doing a hay ride? #10  
We did a haunted hayride this past weekend at a neighbor's party and will do a trick-or-treat hayride tomorrow going door to door. My kids have done both city and country trick-or-treating and prefer the country version hands down.