Backhoe Learning Backhoe

/ Learning Backhoe #1  

SLOBuds

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L35
I'm trying to learn how to use my backhoe and the process is highly discouraging. I am one of the most uncoordinated persons there is, and when I try to use the backhoe it just flops here and there with all of my uncoordinated movements.

Any tips on what I can do to get better without spending 5 years trying???

Thanks

/ Learning Backhoe #2  
a nice problem to have :D

basically take it slow and easy. go out to an area you don't care much about and start digging a big hole. dump the spoils off to the side and then when you feel the hole is big enough fill it back up.

have patience, after a couple hours you'll get it..

/ Learning Backhoe #3  
Reduce engine rpm untill you learn to control it. The lower the rpm the slower the hoe will work.

/ Learning Backhoe #4  
There was mention of a training guide on here you can search for it. At work we had the company we purchased our backhoe and other equipment from, demonstrate our equipment to us out in the field.;)

/ Learning Backhoe #5  
Grasshopper, Become one with the hoe.:D
Set up some 5 gal construction pails full of water and duct tape the handle in the up position and practice grabbing and moving. Once you get good at control then move to digging dirt.

/ Learning Backhoe #6  
SLOBuds said:
I'm trying to learn how to use my backhoe and the process is highly discouraging. I am one of the most uncoordinated persons there is, and when I try to use the backhoe it just flops here and there with all of my uncoordinated movements.

Thanks
Know the feeling. I'd never touched a BH when I got my BX23.
Kept plugging along and then before I knew it and almost without realizing it I'd caught on.
I've used it on some pretty tight places and delicate digging jobs with confidence after that.

/ Learning Backhoe #7  
I had the same problem when I bought my skid steer, I did not know anything about it, the seller said the keys were in it and to try it out. I told him I never run one. LOL he gave me a 2 minute lesson and it was fun, I used it in idle till I got used to it and I raise RPM's up now and I am not great but descent with it.
Get you some dirt and just move it or pile it up or just dig a hole and fill it back up and it will come to you before you know
Have fun
Jim
:)

/ Learning Backhoe #8  
SLOBuds said:

Thanks

Besides practice...read a little...:D
https://www.equiptrain.com/backhoes.htm

Order the above manual it is worth the money...

/ Learning Backhoe #9  
One thing I found when learning mine was that if I was too far away from the joysticks, with arms extended, I didn't have as fine a motor control as when I was closer to them with my elbows bent a bit.

/ Learning Backhoe #10  
Dig a hole, fill it up with the back hoe. Dig it out again, fill it back up with the hoe. Do this over and over until you are one with the hoe. It will come to you.

ron